Author Topic: Problems with batch video thumbnails  (Read 3311 times)

aslaksen

• View Profile
Problems with batch video thumbnails
« on: 2021-12-05 10:14:43 »
I use K-Lite Mega pack, and I can play all my videos. However, if I open my video folder and select scan folder, the process hangs on a small number of files, giving me an error saying "The background task failed". However, if I click on them individually, I can make thumbnails.

Since they were old files, I thought that I could just use a program like Freemake Video Converter to solve the problem, but batch thumbnails still hangs.

Any suggestion? I'm attaching the log and exc files. I honestly do not know what the problem is, and I'm afraid I don't understand those files.

Thanks!

Helmer
« Last Edit: 2021-12-05 10:29:49 by aslaksen »

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with batch video thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: 2021-12-05 15:48:22 »
Somehow, there is a difference in the thumbnailing of one individual movie file and multiple movie files. With the latter, some movie files will fail to get a thumbnail or ThumbsPlus will even crash. I have long ago stopped looking for the cause, and Cerious could never reproduce the problem.

Nowadays, when I want to thumbnail multiple movie files, I simply select them and press INS ('tag file'). That causes them to be added to the Tagged Images gallery, which in turn makes ThumbsPlus thumbnail them in 'individual mode', without crashing or otherwise failing (well, usually). Afterwards, I press Ctrl-INS to remove the tags. So, my suggestion is that you use this as a work-around.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

aslaksen

• View Profile
Re: Problems with batch video thumbnails
« Reply #2 on: 2021-12-05 18:35:50 »
Thanks! I just got a new PC, and I had to thumb all my files, which I hadn't done in several years, so I had forgotten how to do it. I eventually remembered the INS trick.