Author Topic: thumbnail image  (Read 3501 times)

jaybird23238

• View Profile
thumbnail image
« on: 2016-07-01 09:36:11 »
I have a collection of video files which all open with the same announcement screen.  

As a result, I have a folder with over 100 identical thumbnails all pointing to different videos.

Is there a way to tell thumbs plus to look deeper into the video to pull out it's thumbnail?  Short of that, is there a way to substitute with a saved image file?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
thumbnail image
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-01 11:21:53 »
>Is there a way to tell thumbs plus to look deeper into the video to pull out it's thumbnail?

Yes, see Options | File Loading | Movies/Sound | Thumbnail Options.

>Short of that, is there a way to substitute with a saved image file?

You can use PrintScreen to copy your favorite frame of the movie to the clipboard, then use Thumbnail | Make from Clipboard.

btw, for some users, generating multiple video thumbnails doesn't always work as expected. If you're not getting the results hoped for (for instance because TP still uses the first frame instead of your preference), this may help:

[*]To delete existing thumbnails (without deleting the actual files) use Shift-Del.
    [*]An alternative way of creating video thumbnails for multiple files is to select them and then press Ins to tag them. When the thumbnails have been made, press Ctrl-Ins to untag the files.[/list]
    I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

jaybird23238

• View Profile
    thumbnail image
    « Reply #2 on: 2016-07-05 20:44:42 »
    Thank you for your suggestion.  

Sadly, the file loading option did not work.  I tried a percentage of file, as well as last non blank frame, and pressing F3 brought no results.

The good news is the fact that the make from clipboard (which I never realized existed) works like a champ.  Even better when instead of a complete screen grab, I used windows snipping tool which gave me even more control over the appearance of the thumbnail.

Again, thanks.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    thumbnail image
    « Reply #3 on: 2016-07-05 21:17:32 »
    > Sadly, the file loading option did not work.  I tried a percentage of file, as well as last non blank frame, and pressing F3 brought no results.

Was that with multiple video files selected? If so, that's a bug that affects many people but for which no solution has been found yet.

The work-around is to select the files and press INS instead of F3. This will Tag the files, but in order to tag them, ThumbsPlus has to thumbnail them first, and then for some reason it will honor your percentage setting. To remove the tags, just press Ctrl-INS afterwards (with the files still being selected).

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    thumbnail image
    « Reply #4 on: 2016-07-05 21:24:54 »
    P.S. you can also edit your clipboard image in ThumbsPlus itself:

[*]Use PrintScrn to capture the video frame
      [*]In TP, press Ctrl-V to paste this frame into a new editor window
      [*]Edit it however you like (Crop, Saturation, Histogram Stretch, etc)
      [*]Press Ctrl-C to copy the edited frame back to the clipboard
      [*]Close the editing window
      [*]Make Thumbnail from Clipboard
      [/list]