Author Topic: import/export  (Read 4192 times)

jaybird23238

• View Profile
import/export
« on: 2016-07-01 08:48:32 »
When I export all or part of my database everything runs fine as normal.

However, when I try to import that txt file into another database I get an error saying "format error in file"

When will this be fixed

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
import/export
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-01 11:38:16 »
> When will this be fixed

Not anytime soon I think. See http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?id=4653

btw, a common cause of format problems is when multi-line annotations have been exported, causing line breaks in the export file.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

mschnell

• View Profile
import/export
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-03 03:41:04 »
The link you give does not seem to work. What does it say ?

-Michael

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
import/export
« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-03 10:00:14 »
Sorry about that, I guess the old TP9-Beta forum section is no longer open to the general public :)

This is what is says:

> To be perfectly honest, the export/import functions haven't worked for a few years and the problem has not been addressed yet.

> The main reason that it keeps being put on the back burner is that it is a very large job in the database portion of ThumbsPlus and since ThumbsPlus v9 and v10 have the database capability of storing millions upon millions of thumbnails - joining databases or creating multiple databases isn't something that is requested often.

>That doesn't mean that it won't be fixed. These functions will be restored although it will probably be v11 before this happens.

>Kind regards,
>Laura Shook
>Cerious Software, Inc.

jaybird23238

• View Profile
import/export
« Reply #4 on: 2016-07-03 10:59:21 »
Ok, that opens another question.  How do I configure the database to accept "millions" of thumbnails.

Every time it reaches a 2 gig size, it begins to crash.  I know that there are two formats to choose from as well as "store as files".   However it's done so far has not let me get past the 2 gig size.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
import/export
« Reply #5 on: 2016-07-03 11:13:11 »
> Ok, that opens another question.  How do I configure the database to accept "millions" of thumbnails.
>
> Every time it reaches a 2 gig size, it begins to crash.  I know that there are two formats to choose from as well as "store as files".   However it's done so far has not let me get past the 2 gig size.

Use the built-in SQLite database type, it doesn't have the 2 GB limit (personally I wouldn't opt for the 'store thumbnails as files' option).

In the past, many users opted not to use SQLite because its performance in TP was too slow. If you find it slow too, have a look at this message, which describes a free alternative SQLite driver that works much faster:

http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?id=4942

You can use other formats such as MySQL, MariaDB, MS SQL, etx. but those require advanced knowledge of databases.

mschnell

• View Profile
import/export
« Reply #6 on: 2016-07-03 15:57:40 »
" http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?id=4942 "

"The performance improvement thus far is an order of magnitude."

That does sound really good.

I do hope that this will be integrated as default in v11.

-Michael