Author Topic: Image rotation problem  (Read 2752 times)

TimWright

• View Profile
Image rotation problem
« on: 2014-12-02 06:54:40 »
When I batch resize images with TP9 SP1 from original camera JPEG files there is a problem with the orientation of images shot in vertical (portrait) orientation.  The original files are fine but the output files appear correct in the thumbnails, but when opening them in TP9 or various other file viewers they are not rotated.  It is necessary to manually rotate them 90 degrees counterclockwise.  When I rotate them the thumbnail stays the same (portrait) but the image then displays correctly.  Unfortunately this is not the end of the problem because I have experienced some cases where the manually rotated images appear rotated in the other direction when viewed on some other software.  I use a custom application written in Visual Basic that will display the un-rotated files correctly but if I manually rotate them to make them appear correct in TP9 and the Windows image viewer they will be rotated too far.  The result is that it becomes very confusing to know whether to rotate images or not because it depends where the images will be used.

I am using various Canon cameras (EOS 1Ds MkIII, EOS 1D MkIV, EOS 5D MkIII) and the same thing happens with all of them.  I shoot raw CR2 files simultaneously with JPEGs.  If I use Canon Digital Photo Professional to process the CR2 files and output to full size JPEG images (replacing the ones that came out of the camera) TP9 will rotate the images correctly and the problem goes away.  So a workaround solution is to batch process all portrait shots in DPP, but this is a pain and slows down my workflow.

By the way, this was never a problem with TP7 or earlier (I don't know about TP8 as I have never used it).

I reported this to Cerious when I first upgraded to TP9 but I never received an answer.  I also note that this has been reported before in this forum but there were no replies to the thread.  Does anyone know if there is a better solution to this problem?  My computer is Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Image rotation problem
« Reply #1 on: 2014-12-02 10:06:36 »
Have you tried TP9 SP2 Beta 3?

From its [link=http://www.cerious.com/newsletter-2014-10-09.shtml#v9sp2]release notes[/link]: "XMP/EXIF orientation was not always being updated correctly when saving or converting an image, causing odd rotation errors."
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

TimWright

• View Profile
Image rotation problem
« Reply #2 on: 2014-12-03 04:27:57 »
Yes it works!  I am so happy this bug has finally been fixed.  Many thanks for pointing out the beta release.