Author Topic: Locating Orphans  (Read 16318 times)

bradybelk@gmail.com

• View Profile
Locating Orphans
« on: 2019-04-18 16:22:07 »
I have a 20 year old database with tens of thousands of pictures in hundreds if not thousands of folders.  Is there a way to search the entire database for orphans.

There is a way to just delete them all, but I am uncomfortable doing that.  I want to see them and either delete the thumbnail or recover the file from one of many backups over the years.

Thanks

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Locating Orphans
« Reply #1 on: 2019-04-18 17:10:36 »
I have a 20 year old database with tens of thousands of pictures in hundreds if not thousands of folders.  Is there a way to search the entire database for orphans.

You could select a drive in the Location panel, right-click on it and turn on 'show child folders' so that thumbnails from all its folders and subfolders will be shown.

Then go to Edit | Select By | Orphans to select all orphans. Maybe from there you can add them to a new gallery, from which you can examine them and get back to them later.

Repeat this for any other drives that may have orphans.

EDITED TO ADD:

p.s. In the Options | Preferences | Thumbnails screen, please be sure to have the "Show Orphans" setting ON and "Auto Remove Orphans" OFF.  I think those are the default values, but just in case... :)
« Last Edit: 2019-04-18 17:36:43 by Daan van Rooijen »
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

bradybelk@gmail.com

• View Profile
Re: Locating Orphans
« Reply #2 on: 2019-04-18 21:26:54 »
That worked. 
Thanks
Brad