Author Topic: FTP site  (Read 3356 times)

macsnapper

• View Profile
FTP site
« on: 2017-09-08 04:20:58 »
Can anyone help me...?
I've learned I can plug a hard drive into my modem for backup (using USB port)
Windows explorer sees it like this: ftp://192.168.1.254/Data/
But I don't know how to get ThumbsPlus to address it.
Any tips?
cheers
Mac

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FTP site
« Reply #1 on: 2017-09-08 05:20:55 »
> I've learned I can plug a hard drive into my modem for backup (using USB port)
> Windows explorer sees it like this: ftp://192.168.1.254/Data/
> But I don't know how to get ThumbsPlus to address it.

Well, ordinarily, a volume must have a local Windows path or else TP cannot access it. I have three ideas though:

1) Check if the drive, in addition to its ftp address, also has a drive letter or device name. Does it appear in Network Places? Is there anything that you can configure in the modem?

2) ThumbsPlus has some built-in functionality to access FTP sites, but I don't know how well it works (in some ways it's similar to Facebook support, which does not seem to work). In the tree panel of ThumbsPlus, open the 'Internet' branch and right-click on 'FTP sites' to add your ftp address.

3) You may be able to map the ftp address to a drive letter or a network location in Windows. I've never tried this myself, but you can read about it here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/map-an-ftp-drive-windows
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

macsnapper

• View Profile
FTP site
« Reply #2 on: 2017-09-08 17:50:17 »
Thanks Daan
No matter what I try I cannot get windows to map it as a drive letter, and I notice that if I browse it in Windows Explorer it can manage the files and folders but cannot show images in the tiles for previewing, so it may be a limitation in the way the modem serves the ftp.
I'll keep trying though.
Probably easier to plug the hard drive in locally for thumbs plus to catalogue and just use the modem connection for backing up my other files and folders.
thanks for replying though
cheers
Mac