Author Topic: multiple instances  (Read 4130 times)

macsnapper

• View Profile
multiple instances
« on: 2013-07-30 06:43:39 »
am I able to launch T+7 pro in two adjacent windows without scrambling or jeopardising my database? (I did once lose a bunch of video files when trying to move them between folders using T+7- I think all the windows indexing must have got screwed.)

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
multiple instances
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-30 12:18:54 »
> am I able to launch T+7 pro in two adjacent windows without scrambling or jeopardising my database?

Speaking for myself, I've never experienced any problems doing that. Of course I still keep backups of my database just in case.

> (I did once lose a bunch of video files when trying to move them between folders using T+7- I think all the windows indexing must have got screwed.)

This is the first time I hear of anyone ever losing files to TP7..
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

macsnapper

• View Profile
multiple instances
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-30 16:56:32 »
Thanks for the reply- it will be realy useful to open T+ in duplicate!
about losing files it was probably my own fault- the file transfer sat in a 'not responding' state for a long time so I used task manager to stop the application. Windows must have been interrupted while it was re-indexing or something.

Laura Shook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
multiple instances
« Reply #3 on: 2013-08-01 15:41:17 »
As Daan said you can run multiple instances of ThumbsPlus at the same time. I have done so for many years.

Kind regards,
Laura Shook
Cerious Software, Inc.

macsnapper

• View Profile
multiple instances
« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-02 00:26:03 »
Thanks for the replies.
As an extra benefit can I have one instance addressing one database and the other instance addressing a 2nd database and drag files between windows? (My DB is reaching its practical limits!)

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
multiple instances
« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-02 00:54:02 »
> As an extra benefit can I have one instance addressing one database and the other instance addressing a 2nd database and drag files between windows? (My DB is reaching its practical limits!)

You can, but that would only copy the image files, not their thumbnails and the other information from their database records.

If you want to split your database in two:

[*]Make copies of your database file and its accompanying *.tdo settings file. Give the new set of .td4/.tdo a distinct first name (e.g. thumbs_2.td4 and thumbs_2.tdo).
    [*]Load one database and delete one half of the thumbnails from it.
    [*]Run File | Database | Compact to physically remove the deleted thumbnails and free up a ton of space.
    [*]Load the other database, delete the other half of the thumbnails from that, and run Compact on it.
    [*] Now you have two databases, each containing one half of your images,
    [/list]

(To delete thumbnails without deleting the corresponding image files, select them and press Shift-Del. To select thumbnails from a folder and all of its subfolders, right-click on its name in the tree panel and select 'Show child folders' to make all files visible, and selectable. Or better still, to delete all thumbnails from a drive or folder branch, simply right-click on it in the tree panel and select 'Remove Thumbnails').
    I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

macsnapper

• View Profile
    multiple instances
    « Reply #6 on: 2013-08-02 19:19:47 »
    Thank you Daan for taking the time to give such a comprehensive reply. Much appreciated!

mschnell

• View Profile
    multiple instances
    « Reply #7 on: 2013-08-04 04:34:08 »
    > (My DB is reaching its practical limits!)

The new TP allows for using the SqLite databases engine. ( see http://www.cerious.com/release_notes80.shtml )

AFAIK same does not have this limitation.

I suppose there is a way to migrate an existing database.

-Michael