Author Topic: Customizations of status bar in Viewer do not stick  (Read 4233 times)

ERinSTL

• View Profile
Hi--

Most of the data elements displayed by default on the Viewer status line are of no interest to me, but the selection area is very important. However, since that item is last of all the elements, it's usually necessary to enlarge the Viewer window to see it. I want to removes several unnecessary data elements so the selection area information will always fall within the width of the window. I can remove them from a View, but the next time I open Viewer, they're all back. We need the customization to be preserved.

I posted about this problem some time ago and was assured it would be fixed with the next update. I have updated since then (I think), and the problem still exists. Will it be fixed in v10?

ERinSTL
TP Pro v9sp2 build 3946
Win 7 sp1

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Customizations of status bar in Viewer do not stick
« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-12 00:01:24 »
> I want to removes several unnecessary data elements so the selection area information will always fall within the width of the window. I can remove them from a View, but the next time I open Viewer, they're all back. We need the customization to be preserved.

The best way to contact Cerious is through lshook@cerious.com. They don't often look in this (user supported) forum.

At any rate, the settings of the status bar in the viewer are stored in the text file thumbs9.vconfig (the location of which, i.e. your 'preferences folder', can be found under Help | System Info). The line in question looks like this:

The values for Visible and the various 'Panes' (info items) can be either 0 or 1, for Off and On.

So, if you don't mind working under the hood a little, edit that line and hopefully it will stick (if not, maybe you can write-protect the .vconfig file).
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-12 09:29:06 »
Daan,

I don't have the Thumbs9.vconfig file, only the Thumbs9.config file.  Is this file to be created manually?  Also, do you have any idea what the codes (65500, etc) mean?

Kind regards,
Gary

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-03-12 12:02:09 »
> I don't have the Thumbs9.vconfig file, only the Thumbs9.config file.

Are you sure - have you searched your system?

> Is this file to be created manually?

No, to my best knowledge it should just be there.

I do notice something strange though.. My thumbs9.vconfig file hadn't been updated in seven months.  I had assumed that like the .config and .ini file, it would be re-written with the current settings at the end of every session.

Also, I just manually edited the Statusbar setting in thumbs9.vconfig like I'd suggested in my earlier reply, and it doesn't seem to affect it at all! When I run SysInternals' Process Monitor, I see ThumbsPlus interact with the .vconfig file, but something in that interaction must be going wrong.

> Also, do you have any idea what the codes (65500, etc) mean?

No, but I'd assume they're in the same order that they appear in the status bar, or how they are listed when you right-click on it.

Meanwhile, I found another possibly relevant setting in thumbs9.ini: Its [View] section (for the Viewer/Editor) has a setting "StatusLine=1" that governs whether the status bar is on or off. It too doesn't save the viewer's last setting, but it can be manually edited to turn the Viewer's status bar on or off.

ERinSTL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-03-12 12:17:42 »
I thought I had replied myself last night after trying Daan's suggestions, but my reply seems to have gone into a black hole (or I'm imagining I did it).

I had the same experience as Daan reports: I manually edited the thumbs9.vconfig file, but it had no effect on the status bar display. I went back and checked the file again after opening and closing TP and using Viewer to view an image, and my edits were preserved; the program did not overwrite them.

So, is it time to elevate this? Email to Laura Shook?

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-03-12 12:52:08 »
> > I don't have the Thumbs9.vconfig file, only the Thumbs9.config file.
>
> Are you sure - have you searched your system?
>
> > Is this file to be created manually?
>
> No, to my best knowledge it should just be there.
>
> I do notice something strange though.. My thumbs9.vconfig file hadn't been updated in seven months.  I had assumed that like the .config and .ini file, it would be re-written with the current settings at the end of every session.
>
> Also, I just manually edited the Statusbar setting in thumbs9.vconfig like I'd suggested in my earlier reply, and it doesn't seem to affect it at all! When I run SysInternals' Process Monitor, I see ThumbsPlus interact with the .vconfig file, but something in that interaction must be going wrong.
>
> > Also, do you have any idea what the codes (65500, etc) mean?
>
> No, but I'd assume they're in the same order that they appear in the status bar, or how they are listed when you right-click on it.
>
> Meanwhile, I found another possibly relevant setting in thumbs9.ini: Its [View] section (for the Viewer/Editor) has a setting "StatusLine=1" that governs whether the status bar is on or off. It too doesn't save the viewer's last setting, but it can be manually edited to turn the Viewer's status bar on or off.

Thanks Daan.  I have TP8 installed on another system and it does have an effective vconfig file (it does control status bar elements).  I copied it to TP9 install changing name to thumbs9.vconfig.  It appears TP9 ignores the file.  I also noticed that the viewer status bar information is set from the initial image and then never updated as I spacebar through the images.  Heck, I think I might just turn it off altogether.  Cheers, Gary

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-03-12 13:16:54 »
> So, is it time to elevate this? Email to Laura Shook?

Yes, that's what I'd recommend. You could point her to this thread.

ERinSTL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-03-12 22:46:00 »
I have emailed a bug report to Laura Shook (12 March 2015):

Laura--

I tried addressing this bug through the forum, but I and another contributor, who seemed very knowledgeable about Thumbs Plus were unsuccessful.

The bug is that any customizations to the status bar in the Viewer application are not saved. You can see the history of our efforts to investigate [msg=4336]here[/msg]. Executive summary: customizations made through the check-box list that is opened by right-clicking in the status bar take effect for that instance of Viewer and subsequent images viewed through that instance. But if it is closed and reopened, or if a new instance is opened at the same time, the data elements displayed in the status bar of that instance revert to the default "all". I tried editing thumbs.vconfig, setting what I thought were the data elements I wanted to exclude to "0"s. The edits did stick; they were not reset by the program, but they had absolutely no effect on the Viewer status bar.

I can recall posting or reporting this bug before, quite some time ago, but it has not yet been addressed. V10?

Regards,
Eric Ressner
TP v9 sp2, build 3946
on Win 7 sp1

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-03-13 13:16:42 »
Nicely done Eric.  Please post the reply you receive.

Thanks!
Gary