Author Topic: TP V9SP2B3 Images rotated in slide show  (Read 4425 times)

DeepPowder

• View Profile
TP V9SP2B3 Images rotated in slide show
« on: 2014-11-14 20:14:19 »
When I do an F8 slideshow of several images, some of which were taken with the camera held horizontally and some vertically, the images taken with a vertical camera are rotated 90 degrees clockwise.  The images taken with a horizontal camera display properly.  The "vertical" images display properly when opened with a double-click and the thumbnails are oriented correctly.

Is there a fix for this behavior?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-11-14 21:13:45 »
It's interesting that the viewer would behave differently from the slideshow.. what type of files were you using (JPG?) and are these unedited, straight-out-of-camera images?

Possibly relevant settings:
Options | Preferences | Metadata | Rotate based on XMP/EXIF orientation
Options | Preferences | Metadata | Don't rotate portrait images
Options | Viewing | Other | Use database thumbnail orientation when displaying images

For raw files loaded through the Digicam plug-in:
Options | Digicam | General | Rotate based on EXIF orientation.
Options | DCRAW | Rotate automatically based on stored orientation.

(note that the plug-ins, when used with slideshows, are usually set to display the embedded jpg image rather than the actual raw image).
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

DeepPowder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-11-15 10:15:10 »
Thanks for the reply.

They are .JPG files, straight out of the camera.

None of the settings you suggest in the first set had any effect on this behavior.

kdaube

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-05-19 07:37:08 »
Unfortunately I must say the same for TP 9 SP2:
    [*]Camera has no EXIF information for orientation
    [*]Thumbs are correctly oriented without intervention
    [*]Preview is turned left with "Options | Preferences | Metadata | Rotate based on XMP/EXIF orientation" unchecked. Need to check this for correct preview.
    [*]"Options | Viewing | Other | Use database thumbnail orientation when displaying images" has no effect on orientation of slide show.
    [*]"Options | Preferences | Metadata | Don't rotate portrait images"  has no effect on orientation of slide show.
    [/list]
    I have older images in my DB which are oriented correctly also in the Slideshow.

kdaube

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: 2015-05-19 12:49:18 »
    Heck,
    When finding a mis-displayed image in the slideshow and then
    - rotate the thumbnail with Quick operation forward 90°
    - then back 90°
    the slideshow displays the image correctly !

DeepPowder

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: 2015-05-24 18:43:01 »
    Yes, agree that does work and provides a fix, but seems to me we shouldn't have to be doing that.  It's a pain.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: 2015-06-11 18:58:44 »
    I've made a set of four JPGs in which the camera was tilted 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees. Their orientation is shown correctly as Top-Left, Left-Bottom, Bottom-Right and Right-top, respectively.

With TP9 Beta 3 Build 3952, the images are shown correctly in thumbnails, in the preview panel, in the Viewer as well as in Slideshows, both when 'Rotate based on XMP/EXIF orientation' is On and when it's Off.

The top row shows the images with rotation off, and the bottom row with rotation on:

(excuse the algae on the balcony railing :)

If anyone is still seeing this slideshow rotation problem, could it be that the images or their EXIF-rotation value are incorrect?

If anyone wants to experiment, the four images can be downloaded [link=https://www.dropbox.com/s/snpkmuf0fp1pqv5/Rotatetest.zip?dl=0]here[/link] (402 KB ZIP).
    I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

DeepPowder

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: 2015-07-09 11:31:58 »
    I've checked this problem out with 10RC1 and several of my own images using F8-Slideshow.  The look fine in 10RC1 and do get rotated in the older 9SP2.  Thanks for fixing it.  It was a real nuisance.