Author Topic: Waiting for users to exit the database  (Read 4618 times)

bradybelk@gmail.com

• View Profile
Waiting for users to exit the database
« on: 2019-05-30 13:12:28 »
I am the only user of Thumbsplus and it resides on a single computer.  I keep two databases and it has nothing to do with size.  One for the family and friends (the big one) and one for just me.  I do not want searches and the like to mix the two databases.

I am in both databases at least once a day.  The big database opens by default.  I switch to my personal database after the default fully opens.

About once the month my just for me database tells me there are too many users and I have to wait a very long time for it to clear itself up.  Its actually faster to rescan the entire 5000 picture database, a process I don't like to do.

I am running build 4015, update June 2018.

Any suggestions?
Brad

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting for users to exit the database
« Reply #1 on: 2019-05-30 13:17:33 »
About once the month my just for me database tells me there are too many users and I have to wait a very long time for it to clear itself up.
ThumbsPlus keeps track of active users through a field in the database. Could it be that your database is read-only or you (sometimes) don't have write-access to it?

PS: instead of switching to the only-you database after launching TP, you could also make a shortcut on your desktop that specifies the database (full path, between quotes if it contains spaces) on the command line.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

bradybelk@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-06-01 07:09:46 »
ThumbsPlus keeps track of active users through a field in the database. Could it be that your database is read-only or you (sometimes) don't have write-access to it?

Its my computer and I am the Admin.  Why wouldn't I have access to it.  Does it have to do with how I shut things down that leaves me listed as an active user.

PS: instead of switching to the only-you database after launching TP, you could also make a shortcut on your desktop that specifies the database (full path, between quotes if it contains spaces) on the command line.

I don't know how to do this.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-06-01 08:34:17 »
Does it have to do with how I shut things down that leaves me listed as an active user.

Yes, if you don't shut ThumbsPlus down correctly, you may get this error about active users. To close ThumbsPlus, use the small 'x' button in the top-right corner of the window, or press Alt-F4 on the keyboard, or click File | Exit in the menu.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.