Author Topic: Black margins on tall pictures  (Read 4333 times)

aslaksen

• View Profile
Black margins on tall pictures
« on: 2014-06-18 03:39:51 »
Hi,

First of all, I must say that for the first time in a long while I have actually seen an improvment in TP (meaning, making it closer to V7!). It seems that Thumbs9.typ is not overwritten when I upgrade.

In the past I had a lot of problem with balck margins on tall pictures. It seemed to improve, but in the latest release (3938)it has gotten worse. Now a lot of my pictures have balck margins.

Helmer

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-12 00:04:28 »
I forgot to point out that this happens on tall pictures that are so tall that they get reduced. There seems to be some kind of minimal width, and then black margins get added. Very annoying!

Helmer

laser2sail

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-16 18:49:28 »
TP build 3938 on Win 8.1 or Win XP Pro SP3:
Options | Viewing Options | Window | Fit images to window width & Maintain aspect ratio

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-08-17 04:47:28 »
Hi laser2sail,

> Options | Viewing Options | Window | Fit images to window width & Maintain aspect ratio

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid it's more tricky than this. When I do what you suggest, it does come up without black borders, but it comes up in a window that is way too big, compared to the resolution, and where I only see the top of the picture.

What I want is that it comes up at the right size, reduced if necessary to fit the screen, and without any black borders.

In TP7 "reduce images to window" worked.

laser2sail

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-08-17 06:22:47 »
And on my PC's it DOES reduce oversize images. Too strange.

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-08-17 08:43:55 »
Yes, it is strange.

I have attached an example picture. Just a random tall picture. I get either black margins, or a picture that is too big.

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-09-26 18:22:39 »

I'm still having the same problem in V9SP2. The first picture shows my settings and the result for V9SP2, the second shows V7SP2. I'm using the test picture I uploaded in my previous message.

Will this ever be fixed?

Thanks!

Helmer Aslaksen

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-09-26 19:14:58 »
Your image is 245 pixels wide but the minimum window width is set to 640. Have you tried to reduce that value?
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-09-27 03:28:47 »
Dear Daan,

THANKS! I didn't notice that setting! As you can see, there is no such setting in TP7 Options -> Viewing Options -> Window, and when upgrading, I just copied my original settings. I changed those settings to 1x1, and now it works beautifully.

I must say that I think it is strange to set such a default for that setting. I totally understand that there are people who might need such a setting, but I think the default should be 1x1, not 640x480.

Now I will once more try to uninstall TP7 and try TP9 as my main program.

Thanks!

Helmer Aslaksen