Author Topic: Client/Server Conversion fails instantly.  (Read 3826 times)

stevelon

• View Profile
Client/Server Conversion fails instantly.
« on: 2013-06-24 11:07:20 »
Hi, I'm sure this must have been covered but I have not seen anything about re Thumbs 9.

I have a thumbs7 database which I'm trying to convert to work with thumbs9.

I'm quite sure the ODBC connection is correct. I've tried it with the plain SQL Server ODBC driver, and the various SQL Native clients and all attempts fail instantly with:

Opening database for conversion.
Identifying database...
Database server type is Microsoft SQL Server.
Mappings: {u'TEXT': u'ntext', u'COUNTER': u'int identity primary key clustered', u'FLAG': u'bit', u'INT64': u'bigint', u'DATE': u'varchar(32)', u'ID': u'int', u'INT32': u'int', u'INT16': u'smallint', u'BIN64': u'binary(64)', u'BLOB': u'image', u'WCHAR': u'nvarchar'}
Removing pre-v7 cruft.

Conversion failed!

Anyone know where I'm going wrong?

Many thanks.

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-24 11:47:57 »
The client/server conversion in TP9 hasn't been working since at least the first production release, and maybe even longer. I went from TP8 to 9 so didn't ahve to convert so didn't notice this right away.

A workround is to download and install TP8 and do the conversion in that; TP8 and 9 databases are the same format.

stevelon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-24 17:47:59 »
Thanks for the response.

Just so I understand this fully:  Are you saying that I can use TP8 to do the in place upgrade of the TP7 SQL Server database to a level that will work with TP9?

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-24 18:48:25 »
It works for me, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work for anyone else as the database specification hasn't changed.

Of course it would be prudent to take a backup before you start, as this process is irreversable, and converts the database in place and doesn't make a copy, unlike the conversion of the .td4 database.

stevelon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-26 09:12:03 »
Thanks, After some tweaking it has gone through and converted the database.

I have another issue with the length of time one step is taking but that's another topic.

Thanks for the help.

BobG678

« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-25 15:32:30 »
I'm finally upgrading from TP7 to TP9, and have an MS SQL database with a little over 28,500 thumbnails.

Can you say more about what "tweaking" was required?

Can anyone give me a guesstimate of how long it might take to convert my database?

Thanks,
Bob

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-25 15:54:49 »
Unless you want to wait for the next service release when the conversion script is fixed, you will have to install TP8 to do the conversion. TP9 can then open the TP8 database without any further conversion.

I don't know exactly how long 28,000 records will take to convert, but it shouldn't take too long, perhaps and hour or two? Leave it running overnight perhaps?

Just a quick word of warning; BACKUP YOUR TP7 SQL DATABASE FIRST. THE CONVERSION IS DONE 'IN PLACE' AND THERE IS NO EASY ROUTE BACK IF IT GOES WRONG!

stevelon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-27 11:14:08 »
I don't remember the exact tweaks. Basically I took the V8 upgradeserver.py file, which contains the sql being executed and copy/pasted each relevant statement into SQL server and ran it manually. Often it failed to create views, columns  and tables because they already existed etc. I'm not a DBA but I have a fair amount of experience with databases in my job (Oracle, SQL Server, DB2) so I just winged it. No hard and fast fix/process I'm afraid.