Author Topic: PDF thumbnails  (Read 4272 times)

aslaksen

• View Profile
PDF thumbnails
« on: 2015-03-15 10:40:37 »
I have installed the PS plugin, and most of my pdf files get thumbnails. But some just get a generic pdf icon. Any suggestions for what I can do with the files or ThumbsPlus to get proper thumbnails? Thanks! Using 9SP2.

Gary

• View Profile
PDF thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-15 11:52:19 »
I have found that password protected PDF files will get the generic icon.  I'm not sure if this applies in your case, but just a thought.

Cheers,
Gary

aslaksen

• View Profile
PDF thumbnails
« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-15 15:23:38 »
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case. They do not have any security settings. When I click on them in TP, they do not open either. However, they all open no problem in Reader and Acrobat.

aslaksen

• View Profile
PDF thumbnails
« Reply #3 on: 2015-03-15 16:13:43 »
I should probably add that I get thumbnails in Windows Explorer, so the files can't be that messed up. :-) However, I cannot even open them in TP9.

aslaksen

• View Profile
PDF thumbnails
« Reply #4 on: 2015-03-15 16:17:01 »
I found the problem! I decided to try to open them in GV, but I got a cryptic error message about the filename. Then I realized that the three files all have non-English letters in them. Will see if I can find a way around that. Now at least I know what the problem is!

aslaksen

• View Profile
PDF thumbnails
« Reply #5 on: 2015-03-15 16:43:37 »
Installed GhostScript 9.15 and updated the PS plugin and everything was fine!

Gary

• View Profile
PDF thumbnails
« Reply #6 on: 2015-03-16 11:02:03 »
glad you got the situation resolved.  i've been using 9.15 for a while.  never thought to suggest updating ghostscript.

aslaksen

• View Profile
PDF thumbnails
« Reply #7 on: 2015-03-16 11:10:53 »
I know. I kind of assumed that GS and GV were so stable that I didn't have to update all the time. Embarrassing that I didn't spot the obvious pattern of non-ASCII filenames. :-(

Anyway, your comment inspired me to think more, which eventually led me to the solution, so thanks a lot!