Author Topic: Two Thumbs.tpdb8 files?  (Read 4855 times)

aslaksen

• View Profile
Two Thumbs.tpdb8 files?
« on: 2014-10-10 05:36:46 »
I just realized that I have two Thumbs.tpdb8 files, in C:\Users\All Users\ThumbsPlus and C:\ProgramData\ThumbsPlus. Are they really the same?

Helmer Aslaksen

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
Two Thumbs.tpdb8 files?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-10-10 06:28:19 »
This depends on which version of Windows you are running, and how you have it configured.

TP has a default location where it will create a database on first run, or if it can't find the database specified in the Startup section of Preferences. On my system (Win 7) that is C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Roaming\ThumbsPlus\ and my guess is that is the same as your C:\ProgramData\ThumbsPlus

The other location is your data folder and is probably your live database file. Check the file sizes; the default one will be very small as it should only have the 23 sample pictures in it.

aslaksen

• View Profile
TTwo Thumbs.tpdb8 files?
« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-10 06:46:27 »
Dear Pete,

Thanks for quick reply. I'm sorry that my original letter was a bit vague. I use Win7-64. The strange thing is that the two files seem to be the same. Could it be that they are really the same file, and that one of them is just a link to the other? Just wanted to make sure that I don't have two duplicates.

Gary

• View Profile
TTwo Thumbs.tpdb8 files?
« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-10 07:22:33 »
"All Users" is a junction (link) that points to "ProgramData".  The actual file is in "ProgramData" and the "All Users" entry simply points to it.  I always delete the Thumbs.tpdb8 file in that folder since my real database is located elsewhere.

aslaksen

• View Profile
TTwo Thumbs.tpdb8 files?
« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-10 08:35:40 »
Thanks! Yes, I suspected that it was a link, but I didn't know how to tell that it was a link. :-(

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
TTwo Thumbs.tpdb8 files?
« Reply #5 on: 2014-10-10 08:43:02 »
Didn't think about the link possibility, well spotted Gary!

To determine for definite if it is a link, just rename one of them and see if they both change; you can always change it back again. Make sure TP isn't open when you do it though!

Gary

• View Profile
TTwo Thumbs.tpdb8 files?
« Reply #6 on: 2014-10-10 15:47:27 »
One way to tell the difference is to right click on folder name and view the properties.  Here is an example of All Users and ProgramData.  There are many junctions (links) in Win7.

aslaksen

• View Profile
TTwo Thumbs.tpdb8 files?
« Reply #7 on: 2014-10-10 16:25:27 »
Thanks! That was what I tried, too, but for some reason my properties windowss seem to give less information .

Gary

• View Profile
TTwo Thumbs.tpdb8 files?
« Reply #8 on: 2014-10-10 17:12:02 »
My system is Win7 64-bit.  Not sure if it makes a difference, but in Control Panel|Folder Options|View I have the following file related items checked and unchecked.

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
TTwo Thumbs.tpdb8 files?
« Reply #9 on: 2014-10-10 17:19:32 »
From your screen shots it looks like ThumbsPlus isn't fully registered with Windows registry because it doesn't recognise which application to open .tpdb8 with.

I had this a few months ago and no matter how many times I set the file type association in Windows it just didn't stick. It was a real problem working with multiple databases as I had to open TP then change the database, rather than just double clicking the .tpdb8 file.

It might be worth a manual uninstall/re-install of ThumbsPlus which is what I resorted to in the end.

aslaksen

• View Profile
TTwo Thumbs.tpdb8 files?
« Reply #10 on: 2014-10-10 18:16:07 »
I'm sorry! I am so stupid! I didn't read your reply carefully. You were talking about the directory "All Users", while I was clicking on the files. There doesn't seem to be a simple way to tell that the file is a link. It's the grandparent directory that is a link.

aslaksen

• View Profile
TTwo Thumbs.tpdb8 files?
« Reply #11 on: 2014-10-10 18:17:02 »
Good point! I will look do that next time there is an update or beta. Thanks!