Author Topic: TP& Preferences for a hot-rod  (Read 3673 times)

mgrmgr

• View Profile
TP& Preferences for a hot-rod
« on: 2013-01-09 09:10:07 »
I'm professional photographer setting up TP7sp2 (will also be testing TP9 soon) on a new Win7 hot-rod primarily used for Photoshop: six core i7-3930K CPU, 512GB SSD as Drive-C, 2TB data drive, and 64GB RAM.  TP has been my image manager and favorite quick editor since TPv2; I love this program!

However, I've never understood the Preference settings for performance, most specifically under Options/Preferences/Advanced.  My best past guesses for TP7 on my last machine are clipped in the image below (never done this here so hope it displays).

I suspect there are other settings as well that should be changed on a six-core machine with 64GB of RAM and would appreciate any advice.

If it makes a difference, I have over 270,000 photographs ranging in size from 70Kb to over 40Mb, divided among 2,600 folders on my data drive.

Also, if anyone has experience and advice about running TP7 (or v9) on an SSD, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance,  Michael

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2013-01-09 09:47:34 »
The default settings should work just fine, but you could probably increase the maximum filesize to load in the preview tab, as well as the Undo buffer size.

To further increase performance, I'd disable ThumbsPlus' built-in virtual memory manager. See http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?mode=entry&id=17

ThumbsPlus would generally benefit most from the SSD drive if Windows' registry and temp files are on it, and to a lesser extent Windows itself. ThumbsPlus also interacts a lot with its database and its own ini file.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-01-09 11:03:12 »
hello michael,

i cannot be any help on the performance settings, but i can vouch for putting the database file on your SSD.  i have image files on a HDD and the database on a SSD.  the performance improvement over having the database on the HDD is significant (especially when compacting the database).  i'm sure you could further improve the performance of TP by putting the image files on the SSD as well.  my SSD is too small to contain the image files as well as the database file.  :(

cheers,
gary

mgrmgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-01-09 12:13:58 »
That's great about the virtual memory manager entry, Dann.  After changing the INI file, I tried loading 250Mb, 80Mb, and 40Mb files and it makes a difference.  Much appreciated.

Interesting thought about the Preview Tab.  I never use it, but your thought makes me wonder if there is an INI setting to turn it off and if there might not be a performance increase with it off.  Any thoughts on that?

For the Undo buffer, I have just experimentally set it to 512,000KB which should get me an undo for the rare large Pshop files I work on in TP.

As for the SSD, I do have TP's TD4 and other files on it.  Only the image files are on the data drive.  Way too many of 'em to put on the SSD...I'm waiting for SSDs in the terabyte range for under $100! ;-)

Thank you very much for the quick reply!  Michael

mgrmgr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-01-09 12:15:49 »
Thanks, Gary.
Michael

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-01-09 12:54:29 »
> Interesting thought about the Preview Tab.  I never use it, but your thought makes me wonder if there is an INI setting to turn it off and if there might not be a performance increase with it off.  Any thoughts on that?

I don't think it would make much of a difference if there were such an option (but there isn't in TP7 afaik). The responsiveness of the cursor in the thumbnail panel doesn't seem to be affected much by the process of creating and displaying previews. Even so, you could set that value to 0 to force TP to show the file's thumbnail instead of a larger sized preview image.

Where performance is concerned, you could also have a look at this message:
http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?mode=entry&id=14. It explains two methods that might help you save a lot of time culling, keywording, categorizing (etc) your images.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

mgrmgr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-01-09 15:50:16 »
Thanks, Dann.  I've set the max preview to 0 which makes minimum use of it.

I've been using TP's Galleries and the INS key for years, but there were a couple of tips in the link you provided that are a nice addition, especially Select by Tagged.

Your help with this is making me wonder why I've waited so long to give the forum a holler.

I'll be back, asking for and perhaps even offering help.

Michael