Author Topic: Missing "Remove Red Eye" option  (Read 2742 times)

Brian S. Anderson

• View Profile
Missing "Remove Red Eye" option
« on: 2015-04-10 22:12:31 »
Using TP 9.0 [3928]

Help file says that Remove Red Eye should be under View Window>Menus>Image. But instead of Remove Red Eye, the menu has Xe847 Auto Correction in that space.

Oddly enough, using the keyboard shortcut of Shift-R, I can remove red eye, but I have to use the rectangular selection tool as the circle selection tool is not available, and it also doesn't allow me to set sensitivity.

Is Remove Red Eye available on some other menu and I'm not seeing it?

Thanks,
Brian

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2015-04-10 22:31:44 »
Weird.. it looks like they intended to remove this command but forgot to remove it from the Help and from the actual source code. The way that it used to work in earlier versions is that you would drag the circle from the Red-Eye dialog onto the photo (you could do that up to 16 times), adjust the circle(s) and then apply them. When I try to drag it now, the cursor and the circle disappear until I drop it somewhere.

Personally I was never too thrilled with this command because it worked quite crudely, but I guess it was state of the art when it was introduced in the 90s :)

What you could still do in TP is manually select the iris (by zooming in and making an elliptical or freehand selection) and then using the Color Adjustment command ('C') to desaturate it or change its hue. Far from ideal, but it might be quicker or more practical than launching a different application that offers more capable red eye removal.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Brian S. Anderson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-04-11 00:35:21 »
I've always had very good results with Remove Red Eye in the past versions. Very seldom would it give trouble, and that was usually fixable by shrinking the circle to be more precisely positioned.

I even experimented with it and was able to change my wife's shiny red shoes to shiny black with it.

It's irritating to have a feature that I used a lot be removed.

Brian