Author Topic: TP9 Database Statistics: How Large?  (Read 13076 times)

Anthony Harmon

• View Profile
TP9 Database Statistics: How Large?
« on: 2015-03-27 08:56:06 »
How large/complex is the database file you're working with at this moment?

Sjoinca

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2015-06-12 09:05:07 »
Sorry, have not upgraded to TP9 yet.  Here is the stats of my TP 7 DB using MySQL.
When TP9 is stable and ready for prime time I will convert.  The size of the database files (MyIsm not Innodb) is 14.6Gb.

cameron711

« Reply #2 on: 2015-06-17 16:45:38 »
hi! i saw your database stats. we have over 200,000 photos ourselves and are having difficulty where searching is taking a very  long time. did you have that issue? if so, any solutions that worked for you?

thanks!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-06-17 18:18:25 »
If your database is of the regular .TPDB8 type, it may well be approaching the 2 GB size limit and it may be unable to store its search results, causing that long delay.

If that's the case (see Database | Statistics | Total File Size), you may be able to free up space by permanently removing any deleted records (when you delete a record in a database, it's only flagged as deleted but not physically removed). You can use Database | Advanced | Cleanup and Repair to do that.

However, before doing that, you may be able to save additional space by cleaning up any orphaned records (i.e. thumbnails for image files that no longer exist). For that, right-click on a drive in the tree panel and choose Remove Orphans > All Local Disks. That will delete the orphans and after that, you can physically remove them from the database using Cleanup & Repair as outlined above.

Of course, be sure to have a good backup of your database file, 'just in case'!

Once you have made your database more compact and responsive, and you expect to be cataloging additional images in the future, it may be necessary to either decrease the thumbnail size or increase their compression strength (or do both) to free up more space. Those settings can be found in Options | Preferences | Thumbnails, and you have to re-thumbnail your existing images afterwards for this to take effect.

Alternatively, you might possibly be able to split your database into two, e.g. one for inactive patients (deceased, moved, etc) and one for current patients, or one for males and one for female patients. One way to do this is to make a copy of the database and then delete one half of the thumbnail records from the original database and then the other half of the records from the other database. Then run Compact and Repair again on both, and you'll have two much smaller databases. To delete a thumbnail record without deleting the actual corresponding image file, use Shift-Del (not just Del).

I hope this helps.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.