Author Topic: resize to a larger size than the original  (Read 4904 times)

katinka

• View Profile
resize to a larger size than the original
« on: 2019-06-30 18:15:18 »
Say my original jpg is 2550 x 3300.  It fits a standard 8.5"x11" printer page.

I want to quadruple (blow up)  the size of this image, so that it prints the entire image in 4 pages.  No matter what I do, I cannot get it to expand beyond one page.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: resize to a larger size than the original
« Reply #1 on: 2019-06-30 20:44:38 »
Well, the dimensions of the digital image have no relation to the printing size (except that the print, when viewed from the same distance, will be less sharp the larger you print it).

If you want to print an image over 4 sheets, you should either use a program that lets you print on multiple sheets (not many do), or you should split the image into four images, and print each separately on a single sheet.

To split an image into 4 using ThumbsPlus, you could do this:

• Load the original image.
  • Press Ctrl-A to select it in full.
  • Using the mouse, grab and drag one of the thin sides to 50% of the long side. for example, if the image is 800x1000 pixels, you'd grab the '800' side and drag it to where the new selection area is 800x500. Then grab the new thin side ('500') and drag it to where the selected area is 400x500 in size -- in other words, exactly 1/4th of the original image.
  • Use File | Save Selection As to save the selected quarter image.
  • Then move the selection area to another corner using either the arrow keys or the mouse (grab+drag the center of the selection), and use Save Selection As again to save that quadrant, too.
  • Repeat for the 2 remaining quadrants and then you'll have four image files, each containing a different 1/4 section of the original image. You can print each one of those onto a sheet of its own.

Note that you will need a pretty large image if you want it to look sharp when printed on such a large area! When the print is meant to be viewed from close-up, a resolution of 300 dots per inch is recommended. 200 dpi is fine for a poster-size print that hangs on a wall.  So, say you print it on four 8x11" sheets, then the total area would be 16x22 inch. For a 200 dpi print, you'd need an image that's  3200 (16x200) by 4400 (22x200) pixels in size. That's how large the original photo, scan or drawing would have to be. Enlarging that digital image wouldn't help, because enlarging doesn't increase the level of detail in the image.

Good luck!
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-06-30 21:53:28 »
(having said that, if you're not a 'pixel peeper', a 2550 x 3300 image like from your example can still look pretty good on a 17x22" print).

katinka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-07-01 08:44:30 »
so how do i force it to print on a 17 x 22?  when I tell my computer to print it, it shows only a one page output

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-07-01 13:27:40 »
As explained, you either split the image into 4 images manually and print each one separately, or you find a program that can print an image over multiple pages (I have no recommendations there).

runner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-07-12 12:29:31 »
Hi,

maybe there is an other hint for your need:

1) Transform your file into a PDF File
2) Open it in acrobat reader
3) Choose the print mode
4) Choose your needed filesize
5) Select the butten "poster" (=the german version, I don't now the english Acrobat translation)

I worked with that successfully if I had to print out lager drawings.

Hope it helps.

Best regards Rainer