Author Topic: Sigma SD1/SD1m X3F-Files  (Read 3938 times)

ABeckBeuron

• View Profile
Sigma SD1/SD1m X3F-Files
« on: 2016-01-10 11:52:57 »
With the latest TPP10-Versions I can open and view SD1-Raw-Files (X3F) in really good quality. In TPP9 this was not possible - only X3F-Files from the SD9, SD10, SD14 and SD15 could be opened (dpx-cameras never tried).

My question: Does TPP10 process the original X3F-Data or does it extract embedded jpeg-previews - ignoring the full image information?

Andreas

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sigma SD1/SD1m X3F-Files
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-10 12:38:45 »
> My question: Does TPP10 process the original X3F-Data or does it extract embedded jpeg-previews - ignoring the full image information?

Both are possible. ThumbsPlus comes with two plugins for the processing of raw files. Both can be set to use the embedded jpeg preview for some uses.

First, right-click on an X3F-file and select Configure Type. The Load Using-value in this screen will tell you which plug-in is being used (plug_digicam.tpp or plug_digiraw.tpp).

Then, depending on which plug-in is being used, go to Options | Digicam Plug-in or Options | DCRaw Plug-in to set its options (note: Digiraw = DCRaw).
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

ABeckBeuron

• View Profile
Sigma SD1/SD1m X3F-Files
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-10 15:09:49 »
Ok, thank you very much.

But I can not find any difference in the files opened in TPP10 (Viewing window) either "use embedded Jpeg" is checked or not.

So my question is still unanswered: Does TPP10 use embedded Jpegs for viewing and editing SD1-X3Fs (note: SD9-15 and dp-X3Fs are different!) or not?

Are there absolutely any embedded JPEGs in the X3F-Files?

Andreas

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sigma SD1/SD1m X3F-Files
« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-10 17:15:49 »
> But I can not find any difference in the files opened in TPP10 (Viewing window) either "use embedded Jpeg" is checked or not.

When a raw file is converted into an image, that takes some 3-12 seconds, depending on your system's speed. An embedded Jpeg opens almost instantaneously. So, that's one way to tell the difference. Another way is to look at the status bar in the viewer. Somewhere at the left, it shows the size and bit depth of the image. For instance, "4000x3000-24". If it says 24 (bits), it's a JPG. If it says 48, it is the actual raw data (assuming that your plug-in options were set to 'Load 16 bits per channel').
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.