Author Topic: Database error: SQL Connect Error: Cannot use for months now  (Read 4090 times)

merchant

• View Profile
I keep getting Database error: SQL Connect Error. [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified. ThumbsPlus Message <5015*8036>. When I click OK, I get "ThumbsPlus could not open or connect to the database: C:\ProgramData\ThumbsPlus\Thumbs.tpdb8"  

Nothing I do fixes the problem. Creating a new database, Open an existing database, Open default database, uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting Thumbs.tpdb8, running in compatibility ... nothing.

I then, in a desperate moment, purchased and update from Standard to Pro, foolishly thinking it would be a different program and maybe would work. Yep, of course it didn't work. I have a program I have paid for twice, in essence, and it will not work. I have searched the Web for information regarding the error messages, but nothing I find helps.

I tried running the new build update (3928) to ThumbsPlus hoping some fix in it would solve the problem. Nothing. I have used this program since it was version 7. So I have relied on it heavily. Thus, very frustrating for it to not work.

I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit, 32 GB DDR3 Ram, i7 4770 @ 3.40 GHZ, and a 4 GB NVidia GeForce GTX 670.

I suppose I need to install MySQL, run the script posted on the Client/Server Database Support page, though I never had to do that before. So I am not confident this is a fix, and could it just muck things up even more? Is that the solution - install MySQL Installer 5.6.16? And then do what with the script?

Sigh. It's been months, and I may have to find another program to use, but I enjoyed Thumbsplus features. But I have used up enough time - has someone experienced what I have, and can give me a fix for it? I am tiring of experimenting and searching, and it's not like I have all the leisure time in the world right now. I need a ThumbsPlus Obi Wan!

[Edit:] On a whim, tried with ThumbsPlus 7.0 SP 2. Yep, [5015/8036] Database error: SQL Connect Error; [0-].

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
Database error: SQL Connect Error: Cannot use for months now
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-06 05:29:03 »
Which version of the MySQL ODBC driver are you using, 32 or 64 bit?

As TP is a 32 bit app, it must use the 32 bit ODBC driver even though you may be using the 64 bit version of MySQL.

Also make sure you have this line in my.ini:-

sql-mode = "STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION,ANSI_QUOTES"

By default ANSI_QUOTES is not included in that setting.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-06 11:23:08 »
> I suppose I need to install MySQL,

No. Your database is a regular Access-type database and the SQL error messages that you see have nothing to do with MySQL.

Have you tried to install and run TP with full Administrator rights?

If that doesn't help, I think something in Windows' ODBC database system is broken on your system. Unfortunately I don't know how to diagnose and fix that on a 64-bit Windows 8.1 system. One thing that used to fix it is doing a full (non-custom) installation of MS Office if you happen to have that.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

merchant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-06 17:24:34 »
I have tried reinstalling using "run as administrator" to no avail. I reinstalled Word 2013, using online repair, and then reinstall ThumbsPlus using "ruan as administrator" and, again, to no avail. Same error messages. Does look like something in Windows' ODBC database system is broken, just have no idea how to fix it yet.

merchant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-06 17:25:31 »
> Which version of the MySQL ODBC driver are you using, 32 or 64 bit?
>
> As TP is a 32 bit app, it must use the 32 bit ODBC driver even though you may be using the 64 bit version of MySQL.
>
> Also make sure you have this line in my.ini:-
>
> sql-mode = "STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION,ANSI_QUOTES"
>
> By default ANSI_QUOTES is not included in that setting.

I don't have MySQL installed. It has been a loooong time since I've worked with MySQL.

merchant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-06 17:45:28 »
I checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI but did not find a "ODBC Data Sources" key. Shouldn't there be a "ODBC Data Sources" key?

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-06 17:50:35 »
Sorry, I should remember not to reply to threads before my first coffee; I misread it and thought you were running MySQL!

Have you tried installing the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable?  (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255)

I think you will need to install the x32 version even though your Windows 8 is x64, as TP is a 32 bit application.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-06 19:13:55 »
Great find! This is what i'd try too.

Yes, he needs the 32-bit version, and I think it would be a good idea to reboot prior to running the installer.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

merchant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-06 22:44:25 »
> Sorry, I should remember not to reply to threads before my first coffee; I misread it and thought you were running MySQL!

Understand that. My moto is "I drank coffee, therefore I think."
>
> Have you tried installing the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable?  (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255)

Didn't think about that. I downloaded and installed the x32 version, but, alas, alack, and wail away, again to no avail. What the bejeebers is going on with my Windows 8 machine? TP worked on Windows 7. But that PC died (big time - PSU went, taking the mobo with it.) So, got a new PC with "lovely" Windows 8. Hmm, TP worked with Windows 8, but now that it is Windows 8.1, it's not working. Maybe a coincidence.

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-02-07 03:30:31 »
This is looking more and more like TP not being compatible with Windows 8.1, even though it worked with 8.0.

Another user has asked a question about the Windows 8.1 compatabilty checker flagging up TP as a problem (see http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?id=3129). It would be interesting to know if anyone else has TP working under Windows 8.1

The only other thing I can think to try is to run TP in compatibility mode.

I don't have Windows 8 (I am waiting for 9 which is due to be released early) so not 100% sure if this method still exists, but try this:-

Right click the TP icon in the start menu and select properties. On the compatibility tab tick the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and choose an earlier version of Windows.

If that doesn't work maybe TP is going to need a patch for Windows 8.1

merchant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-02-07 18:39:00 »
Running the Windows Program Compatibility Troubleshooter (what Windows 8.1 calls it), set compatibility mode to Windows 7, and clicked on "Test the program..."

TP is now giving me this message:

"Windows has loaded a compatibility layer, which may cause crashes or other problems in ThumbsPlus. Do you with to remove this compatibility layer and restart ThumbsPlus?"

ThumbsPlus Message <6039>

Clicking No gives me the same above message. I'm in a loop.  

Now I'm clicking "Cancel" but all I get is a repeat of the above message. Looks like I'm really in a loop.

Ah, I click "Yes" and I'm out. Back to the Test compatibility settings for the program window.

I'll skip the Test the program button and just click Next and then "Yes, save these settings for this program."  

Click on TP, and get my old "friend" the Database error: SQL Connect Error. Drat. Square 1.

OK, let's try the right-click --> properties and just ignore that Program Compatibility Troubleshooter.  I choose Windows 7 and Run this program as administrator. Run TP. And get the "Windows has loaded a compatibility layer..."

Apparently TP does not want to be put into compatibility mode.

Again, back to square 1. Like Edison, I keep finding ways that don't work. But hopefully like Edison, 1 way will eventually work. Just hope it's not, like Edison, after many thousands of tries!