Author Topic: Black borders around images  (Read 3623 times)

kitvb1

• View Profile
Black borders around images
« on: 2016-04-23 14:56:45 »
I'm testing Thumbs10.
One big problem I'm having is with the black borders around images. Very few images are displayed without these.

If I set it to "Fit images to window height" and automatic window sizing, then I get a big black border on the right and the image height is not correct as well.

Any suggestions?

p.s. I have 7 days on the trial left.

TIA

Kit

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2016-04-23 16:54:23 »
There's a minimum width and height for viewing windows, so if you're viewing small images, that might be the cause of these margins. See Options | Viewing | Tab:Window | "Minimum window size".

Another possible solution is to set the Initial Window Position to 'Centered' (you can do this in the lower left section of that same options dialog). Some users have complained about a bug that produced margins like you described, which happened when this window position was set to upper-left corner instead. Maybe that bug is still there..

Off topic, but since you're new to TP: F6 toggles between fit-to-window and 1:1 viewing, and F5 toggles between windowed and non-windowed viewing. Space takes you to the next image and Backspace to the previous. There's more (e.g. 'Q' produces a loupe), but these shortcuts are quite essential.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

kitvb1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-04-24 01:05:59 »
Hi Daan

Thanks for the reply.
I've actually set the settings of TP10 to the same as my older version TP9, which sort of works there. I say "sort of" 'cos mostly it displays correctly, but when cropping an image it added borders on the sides, which are then saved with the image.

btw... Not new to TP. First bought it at v4. From the registration email :) :)
Date:   97-10-27 12:22:19 EST
To:   kitvb1@aol.com

This old email address of mine no longer exists.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-04-24 15:20:49 »
Hi Kit,

As, those were the days with TP4! Hard to believe that it's been almost 20 years since then.

Did my suggestions help in getting the images displayed without unnecessary borders?

I haven't heard of the cropping bug before. If you still see it in TP10, please let me know with a brief set of instructions on how to reproduce it.

kitvb1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-05-02 14:56:27 »
Hi Daan

It helped with the smaller images, but not with the larger ones.
Strangely enough, when I crop a larger image, the resized image appears 100% correct. Then I save it, open it again, and then it gets displayed with the borders again.

Regards

Kit

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-05-02 16:35:14 »
> Strangely enough, when I crop a larger image, the resized image appears 100% correct. Then I save it, open it again, and then it gets displayed with the borders again.

Well, that sounds like a display problem (i.e. the border is not part of the image).
My guess is that this will disappear once you set the window position to Centered.

Alternatively, you could pick a different background color for view windows (Options | Viewing | Tab:Appearance | Background Colors). I'm using a soft, beige-like color myself. It looks fairly neutral, but is still easily recognizable as 'background' because any borders that my images have are usually either white or black.