Author Topic: 3935: Folder Operations Still Broken  (Read 4355 times)

ducky

• View Profile
3935: Folder Operations Still Broken
« on: 2014-02-22 17:02:31 »
Also on build 3935 most folder operations fail. For example folders cannot be moved, renamed, deleted because they are locked erroneously by tp itself. Additionally, folders are not correctly updated after move operations. The moved file is reported as still in place, again erroneously.

laser2sail

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-23 06:38:33 »
I've been seeing a problem with locked folders for awhile now, I've considered it a Microsoft problem. My home PC's are networked and if I use Machine B Windows Explorer to view a file located on Machine A's external hard drive, the directory often locks and I cannot rename/move/delete the directory. Logically, the lock should remove when Machine B views a different directory or I close Windows Explorer but the directory remains locked. I'm deducing ThumbsPlus is hitting the same OS flaw.

I've XP Pro SP3, suggesting Redmond programmers are sloppy about retroactive work. If you have Vista/Win7/Win8, it means Redmond's development & test standards still suck.

You could try Unlocker: http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

ducky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-23 08:32:05 »
Thanks for your reply but using unlocker is an annoying workaround - you have to use it before every single folder operation. I'm in doubt if it is a MS issue. Folder operations work fine with tp7 - and with other products on the market.

laser2sail

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-23 09:37:08 »
My observation is it's a Maybe thing. Sometimes ThumbsPlus locks the directory, sometimes it's Windows Explorer, sometimes neither. At least Unlocker will indicate the offending app.

gcummins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-27 18:55:41 »
I have confirmations for "Moving files" UNCHECKED.  With Build 3935 when I move a file I get the normal "Confirm File Replacement" box but ALSO a "Moving files" box that you must select "Close" to get rid of.  Build 3928 did not do this.

laser2sail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-10 11:31:46 »
I'm fairy certain I was getting the message before 3928 but didn't report it because there was a thumbs.db (hidden Windows system file) resident and gumming up the works. Windows hasn't been consistent in removing a directory lock when the thumbs.db files have been cleaned off... and this problem seems to get passed on the TP. I suspect the problem won't be fixed for the next build but with other issues taken care of, it should/might be easier to identify the cause.

laser2sail

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-10 18:25:02 »
Fairly certain. Futz. LOL.