Author Topic: Changing the Drive letter  (Read 2768 times)

Greatly Perturbed

• View Profile
Changing the Drive letter
« on: 2014-03-08 20:45:11 »
I want to move my files to a different drive. The file structure will be the same but the Drive letter will be different and ideally also the partition label. Is it possible to keep the database and change either the partition letter and/or label. Thanks.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Changing the Drive letter
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-09 12:26:49 »
> I want to move my files to a different drive. The file structure will be the same but the Drive letter will be different and ideally also the partition label. Is it possible to keep the database and change either the partition letter and/or label.

If both are on the same computer you could simply use TP to do the moving. Then it will update its records on the fly.

If you don't want to do that, and these are regular local (non-networked) drives, ThumbsPlus should continue to recognize your images (that is: match them succesfully to its thumbnail records) as long as the drive volume label and the folder structure are the same as on the old drive. If you want to change the drive volume label, you can do so from ThumbsPlus after you have moved the images and TP is still recognizing them (right-click on drive, Label Disk).

Be sure to keep a backup of the database. I'd also turn off 'auto remove orphans' and 'make thumbnails automatically' in Options | Prefs | Thumbnails.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.