Author Topic: new computer. how to make TP7 sp2 recognize.  (Read 4730 times)

wingfield

• View Profile
new computer. how to make TP7 sp2 recognize.
« on: 2015-04-14 21:59:39 »
hello - hoping Daan or someone else here can help answer this question.  I've purchased and installed a new NAS.  unfortunately, I just grabbed my entire data directory and copied it over to the new NAS.  as such, thumbsplus still thinks all my files are on the old NAS server.  how would I go about fixing this issue so that I don't lose all my galleries, user defined fields, etc?  is there some way to point TP7 sp2 to the new NAS server?  if not, is there an alternate way to fix this problem?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2015-04-15 00:34:24 »
Solution 1) Restore the old situation (in Explorer), then launch TP and use it to move your image files back to the new server. That way TP can update their location in its thumbnail records as it moves the files.

Solution 2) Launch TP and in the tree panel, open both the new and old folders that (used to) hold your image files. Then drag and drop the grayed-out old folders (which still hold the now orphaned thumbnails) on top of their corresponding folders at the new location. If a folder has subfolders, be sure to drag-n-drop those subfolders first. Also be sure to keep a backup of your database in case something goes wrong, and turn the 'automatically remove orphans' and 'make thumbnails automatically' options both off before you open any of the folders involved. The dragging and dropping will reconnect the orphaned thumbnails with their corresponding image files, and 'un-orphan' them.

There's another solution (editing the database directly) but that's fairly complicated.

I hope this helps!

-Daan-
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

wingfield

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-04-15 18:38:07 »
Daan,

as always, the support you provide to forum members is very much appreciated.  thank you so much for the prompt response.  fortunately, I still had the drive, so I went with option number one.

David

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-04-15 19:02:37 »
My pleasure, David!

wingfield

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-04-16 18:22:07 »
Daan,

if I might ask one more related question.  how do I get the galleries over??

David

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-04-16 21:37:55 »
Galleries are just sets of pointers to thumbnail records, so I would assume that they remain intact as long as you've used TP to move the files. Isn't that what you are seeing?

wingfield

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-04-16 21:59:33 »
Daan,

ah, but of course.  I was copying the files, since I was keeping my old NAS as a 2nd backup.  I've tried "moving" the files, and that worked like a charm.

again, thank you very much.

I've now successfully moved my v7 db to v9 in MySQL.  

David

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-04-17 10:32:42 »
> I've now successfully moved my v7 db to v9 in MySQL.  

That's great! But does that mean you also got the conversion to work (to v9's different database format)? If so, I'd love to know how you accomplished that.

wingfield

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-04-19 17:31:33 »
Daan,

yes, I successfully converted from v7 sp2 to v9.  it took some work; and frankly I'm not sure I can recreate all the steps.  I had Mariadb installed and had successfully gotten v7 sp2 to work; however, I found issues.  for example, I could not create user fields without getting a permission error.  as I'm not a DBA, I decided I didn't want to mess with SQL issues on permission grants.  basically, I'm thinking the Cerious SQL script that created the db had some things missing.  so back to MySQL.  you will remember that I had serious issues with MySQL not allowing me to set sql_mode = "ansi_quotes".  well, I finally managed to get around it after literally months of messing with it.  I ended up creating a new windows user profile, completely uninstalling MySQL, then reinstalling it.  after that, I used the v7 SQL script on the cerious website.  it has issues.  as an example, the script on the cerious site has the following commands which are depracated and no longer work, so I had to remove them.

TYPE=InnoDB;

also, to even run the script, I had to use workbench to manually set the "sql mode" to ansi quotes.  once I did this, I ran the modified script.  it successfully created the v7 sp2 database.  next I had to make sure I had 32bit ODBC installed, as TP will apparently not work with 64 bit ODBC.  got my ODBC connector created, opened TP v7 sp2, and voila.  working database.  finally, I restored my actual data / db from backup.

the conversion to v9 at this point was somewhat trivial.  I backed up my v7 db again from my now working version.  I did this from within the program and also used workbench.  I installed v9, and simply used the database / advanced / convert client/server command.  it converted the v7 db in place.

finally - I modified my "my.ini" file so that it had sql mode = "ansi_quotes" whenever the mysql service starts.  from now on, I'm thinking I'll never have the problem again of being in the wrong mode.

hope this helps.  I probably could have given a more logical step wise procedure of what I did; but this should be pretty close.

David

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-04-21 09:51:10 »
Thanks much for the explanation, David! It's especially good to hear that the Convert Client/Server command does work after all (well, for MySQL databases).