Author Topic: Info panel sections collapse when image changes  (Read 5264 times)

greg

• View Profile
Info panel sections collapse when image changes
« on: 2011-06-29 05:58:19 »
Applies to
ThumbsPlus 8 SP1 Build 3537 and earlier

Problem
[img=right]images/uploaded/201107011327164e0dcb3401fbc.jpg[/img]The state (collapsed / expanded) of metadata groups sections in the Info Panel (eg, contact info, usage rights etc) are not retained when a new image is selected (all sections are collapsed). What should happen: the state should be preserved.

Solution (pending)
Needs to be fixed in a future release.

More Information
Problem initially reported by [link=http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?mode=user&show_user=105]greg[/link] and confirmed / edited by [link=http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?mode=user&show_user=14]hfremuth[/link].

hfremuth

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-01 09:19:01 »
> Changing image immediately causes the panels to collapse.

Glad that you reported this. I experienced the same, but wasn't sure it's only me. I moved this thread into [link=http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?mode=index&category=4]Confirmed Issues[/link].

mashkanasy123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-11 22:44:40 »
I really do not want to be a pain, but I'm getting some heat from several clients whom have updated to TP+8. As this version still has some serious issues, I've had to tell them to roll back to version 7.

I think File Info (IPTC) is one of the strongest reasons to use TP+, and without this fixed the product just does not work as it should.

Please get cracking and fix it. TP+7 looks very old and I do want to updgrade to 8.

Shurley it can't be too hard to get the SAVE button to work?

[img=thumbnail]images/uploaded/201107120242494e1bb4a94d829.jpg[/img]
[img=thumbnail]images/uploaded/201107120243084e1bb4bc333df.jpg[/img]

All the best, Mark

pollyanna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-12 10:07:29 »
I too have reverted to TP7 and am thinking of moving to another product given the lack of function regarding IPTC/XMP in this product.  I thought TP8 was developed years ago... why is metadata still not working at this point?  I'm not sure what the benefit of moving to the new version is when functionality from the old version is not working.. and as far as I can tell - there aren't even any new items?

Can you tell me where the following is in terms of development for this product so I can decide if I should wait around or move to a new app?  Thanks!

- Full bi-directional XMP support
- Hierarchical keywords (database and XMP support)
- Ability to rebuild database from images using hierarchical keywording (ie: XMP schema)
- GPS tagging/viewing within TP
- Versioning/Stacking images (ie: JPG/RAW and burst photos)
- Drag/Drop keywording from a panel/stamp tool
- RAW Editing within TP
- Shared site uploading within TP (ie: flickr, smugmug)

WarnerYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-13 15:05:47 »
I'm pretty curious myself about when the next update will be out, with the really important fixes.  Having said that, I do realize "important" is going to be different for everyone.  But I'm still waffling on whether I want to uninstall TP8 and go back to V7, and a friend who loves ThumbsPlus has already decided he won't upgrade given the current problems.

pollyanna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-14 09:18:34 »
It's just really frustrating... I have been waiting a long time for TP8 to be something more than just TP7 with a different shell - and it hasn't materialized.  I realize this is the problem with buying a product from a small developer - but really this product only provides simple image cataloging that is very behind the modern times.  Sure - it is fast - that's always been one of its strengths - but the functionality that is missing is sooo large - its not usable for anyone who takes cataloging of their media seriously.  We NEED to have the ability to write metadata into the images.. we NEED to have hierarchical keywords.. we NEED to have GPS capabilities... these are modern items that cannot wait years longer to add..

Perhaps add'l developers are needed to really finish this product... but if we don't see them in the next few weeks - we're pulling out and moving on.  Heck, even Picasa has most of these items and its FREE!

Ok.. rant off.. now I'll wait and see if the company actually responds..

hfremuth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-14 10:09:17 »
Greg, pollyanna, WarnerYoung,

It's in the works, with a very high priority, seriously. But it's also a very complex issue - and messy in many other apps (they just hide their mess better). I'll try to convince Phillip Crews (main developer) to put this on the fast track.

pollyanna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-14 14:37:19 »
Thx for the reply.. would be nice if the main developer could visit the forums once in awhile and provide his own updates/ideas/thoughts too... always been a big problem I think.

TP7 at least allowed you to right the keywords back into the files.. TP8 doesn't even let you do that.. can we get that fixed with the next SP at least?  It could be true that many other packages do it sloppy - but it works.  I"ve demo'd most of them and the ones that do it - do it.  Lightroom, Idimager, Picasa, IView, ACDSee Pro 4, IMatch, etc, etc.. all do it with little issue.. my catalog can match my images and vice-versa.  TP7 did it too to an extent... TP8 is broken.

I know this isn't an easy topic to address.. but its been over 5 years now - you would think that many of these items would have made it into the system by now.. is this software a part-time project for the developer?  Just curious...

Ok.. no more ranting... and I am greatly thankful for the response and any movement on this important issue.  Thx - Jen

WarnerYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-14 15:04:45 »
Thanks for the reply.  Being a software developer myself, I DO understand how complex it can be to rewrite something from scratch while adding new features.  But having at least some kind of rough estimate for the next update would let me better decide whether I should go back to TP7 for now, or stick it out with TP8.

Technically, there was nothing in TP8 that I absolutely need.  I mostly upgraded because it was supposed to be faster, and because I wanted to support Cerious, after using and liking TP7 for years.  So reverting to TP7 for a while won't kill me.  But I'm also not going to be able to convince any of my friends to try it if I'm personally not using it, either.

Anyway, mostly I'm just hoping we can get at least a rough idea of when another update will be out, and maybe some general ideas of what's being targeted for fixing.

mashkanasy123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-16 19:38:21 »
Its been over six months since I first raised this issue via email directly to support. I then found this forum so added my thoughts into this post.

It appears to us humble users that not a lot is being done to sort out this major issue. So like many others I have happily (with no other option) rolled back to TP7.

My point is that as loyal user of TP it would be nice to get some feed back on this post and some idea that this is indeed going to be fixed.

Cheers, Mark.