Author Topic: What is happening with TP?  (Read 2925 times)

aslaksen

• View Profile
What is happening with TP?
« on: 2014-07-30 05:48:40 »
This may sound like a stupid question, but what exactly is happening with TP? A lot of us keep about things that worked in TP7 but that no longer works. As far as I can tell, hardly any of those things get fixed. And some that get fixed are broken again new later builds. At the same time Cerious keep putting out new versions. What is the point of the new releases? There seem to be some new Facebook features that people on this forum at least don't seem to use. Are there some great new features that Cerious think is more important than fixing the things that we think are important?

It seems to me that Cerious and this forum are on different tracks, which is a pity, since a lot of us really love TP.

Laura Shook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-30 10:47:22 »
Helmer,

Since I answered a post yesterday that applies to your questions I am copying it below my note to you. NOTE: Please send bug reports to me personally so that I know what problems you are encountering. Again,these forums are peer to peer groups that I simply can't monitor. There are only a few of us here and all of us are simply slammed.

If you are referring to the Batch Metadata options, the answer is simple.

The mechanism for editing IPTC/EXIF/XMP data in ThumbsPlus v9 is different from the process used in v7, but it is not worse, it's better! Now, ALL metadata fields and types can be edited using a batch process.  There is a new menu option in v9 for this:  Image | Batch Edit Metadata.  (See images below.)  Note that this is different from ThumbsPlus v7 as its batch editor does not include the full list of metadata fields by far. There is no way to make everything fit in the small dialog box that was used in v7. If you give the new options a chance you may find that change is not always bad. However, we do listen and your ideas are appreciated. ThumbsPlus users who have issues with the metadata options in v9 tell me EXACTLY what you want to see.

First highlight the thumbnails and then go to IMAGE>BATCH EDIT METADATA:

This image below was created to illustrate some of the options available:

Helmer, ThumbsPlus v9 SP1 is the most stable, awesome maintenance build since v8 was released quite a few years ago. I would appreciate if you would read this entire message. You have been with Cerious since 1996 and your loyalty to ThumbsPlus is appreciated!

Copied from another reply I sent yesterday.

Thank you for your support.

Yes, this is a bug when computers are put into "Sleep mode", "Stand by" or "Hibernation". . It has now been fixed for the next maintenance release. (Yes, there will be another before we release v10.)

ThumbsPlus v9 SP 1 is a FREE maintenance release for all registered users of ThumbsPlus v9 as will be the next maintenance release. We have been and are working countless hours to make ThumbsPlus as clean, fast and as feature filled as possible. Bugs are always present in software programs and we have always acknowledged and fixed them as fast as possible. ThumbsPlus v9 SP 1 is the culmination of over 4 long years of hard work since we began writing v9. ThumbsPlus is a very large program and as long as we write it we will be fixing problems.

This latest version of ThumbsPlus is by far the most stable of any since the first release of v8. You can read about all of the fixes here:
http://www.cerious.com/release_notes9sp1.shtml You can scroll to: Cumulative change notes for builds 3920 - 3938. The list is very long and shows the dedication we have to improving and updating ThumbsPlus.

Cerious Software is a very small company. ThumbsPlus is a huge program with a remarkable amount of features, support for database formats and database options. ThumbsPlus is now completely database-driven with features such as extensive search capabilities, search by similarity, user defined fields, image galleries, and management of offline disks, even across a network. The new ThumbsPlus ODBC databases can be configured to be virtually unlimited in size. These database options are not available in any other known product of this type. Cerious Software knows of no other application that even uses the industry standard ODBC database options! SQL Server and Postgres are only two examples of ODBC databases supported. We have many corporate users with client/server databases that are multiple terabytes in size. Keep in mind that the database only stores the thumbnails and data, ThumbsPlus does not store the images themselves. You can imagine the incredible size of the image collection that these corporations have! Do you know of other image management programs with these database capabilities? If so please let me know so that I can take a look!!

ThumbsPlus is priced extremely low for the hundreds of useful options it offers. We have not had a paid upgrade since 2012. In order to continue to provide ThumbsPlus we have to release major versions.

We have been writing ThumbsPlus for over 20 years and will continue to put our all into this program that everyone here is dedicated to.

You are welcome to e-mail me personally with any ThumbsPlus questions. I try to answer all of my e-mail messages within 2 business days. We are not here on weekends or holidays but we try to help our users with emergencies as quickly as we can. Emergencies can be e-mailed to any of the following addresses.

lshook@cerious.com
acrews@cerious.com
orderdesk@cerious.com

Kind regards,
Laura Shook
Cerious Software, Inc.
704/529-0200

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-30 17:36:22 »
Dear Laura,

Thanks for your reply!

I understand that it is difficult for you, but it seems that the black margins problem has gotten worse now. This is something I've posted about and sent e-mails about many times. I have a lot of tall, narrow pictures, and they often have wide, black margins. In early TP9 releases, they got smaller, but in TP9SP1 they are back in full force.

Thumbs9.typ cuts after 200 lines.

TP9 does not store TWAIN settings.

I hope this can be solved. TP is a great program, and different people use it for different purposes. These three things are things that are very important to me, and that I hope you could fix easily (at least the last, two).

Thanks!