Author Topic: uh-oh. backup computer not starting up tp5 properly  (Read 22239 times)

miltk

• View Profile
i opened my backup computer.
haven't done it in 4 months so i thought i should update my source images and td4

there was an initial problem regarding a database error that i should have copied but i didn't. it said something about check again or database corruption(which was copied from my flash drive backup)

anyway, here's what's happening. i updated the source image folder and the td4, but when i opened Thumbs5 it was NOT being directed to the Thumbs5/td4 file. instead i am only getting the Thumbs5 folder. i have double checked everything.

windows7 pro.
volume label is correct .......DRIVE_C (C:)
TP5 is installed properly ........C:Thumbs5
source location is correct ..........C:\Program Files\Paint Shop Pro\images
database at start up is correct ...........C:Thumbs5\Thumbs.td4

but as i said the td.4 is not opening. only the folder is opening, which amounts to some 30 or so gifs from the Thumbs5 folder. i copied from two different flash drive backups

ps. i thought of going back so i tried a system restore point but that failed. i got some kind of message saying the previous restore points were not valid or somesuch message. i uninstalled/installed tp5 again. it did not help.
« Last Edit: 2019-08-10 12:30:51 by miltk »

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: uh-oh. backup computer not starting up tp5 properly
« Reply #1 on: 2019-08-10 14:48:25 »
Launch TP5 and go to Options | Preferences | Startup.

Was the correct database file defined under 'Initial Database' ?
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-08-10 16:31:25 »
Launch TP5 and go to Options | Preferences | Startup.

Was the correct database file defined under 'Initial Database' ?

it's fine now. i think it was a weird hiccup. however there's a new issue,,,,,
at startup, the left pane has no tree or my galleries. it is only showing thumbnail previews. the right pane only has the thumbnails of the source folder
« Last Edit: 2019-08-10 16:34:12 by miltk »

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-08-10 17:37:05 »
at startup, the left pane has no tree or my galleries. it is only showing thumbnail previews.

Do you see a tab named "Preview" in or above that left pane? If so, hover your mouse pointer approximately 1 milimeter above it, and see if the pointer changes into a double arrow, indicating that there's a separation bar that you can move. Drag that bar up or down and chances are that your tree will re-appear.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-08-10 19:11:30 »
at startup, the left pane has no tree or my galleries. it is only showing thumbnail previews.

Do you see a tab named "Preview" in or above that left pane? If so, hover your mouse pointer approximately 1 milimeter above it, and see if the pointer changes into a double arrow, indicating that there's a separation bar that you can move. Drag that bar up or down and chances are that your tree will re-appear.

thx. it's always something. my tp5 is always set so i never have to concern myself with this,,,until something happens LOL SMH

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-08-11 18:18:13 »
it happened again on another computer, same circumstance. it's a computer i haven't back up for a few months. the exact same thing is happening. i don't remember what i did before. i was just playing around and got tp5 to work, so being that i was just shooting in the dark i have no idea how i got the other backup computer to work.

now i cannot open tp5 because it cannot connect to the database???

here's 2 of the several error messages. maybe this is not the right forum for these errors or maybe it is. anyway, here's the errors....

[5015/8033] Database error: ; [-1045-HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC microsoft Access Driver] Not a valid bookmark..

[5015/8036] Database error:SQL Connect Error; [0-IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Driver's SQLSet ConnectAttr failed.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-08-11 20:36:45 »
Maybe you should reinstall TP5. Or delete thumbs.ini and see if the program will start up then (if so, it will create a new ini file with all-default settings).  You're trying to run a program from 2002 in 2019 though, so hiccups are to be expected.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-08-13 11:46:40 »
Maybe you should reinstall TP5. Or delete thumbs.ini and see if the program will start up then (if so, it will create a new ini file with all-default settings).  You're trying to run a program from 2002 in 2019 though, so hiccups are to be expected.

i think it might be a corrupt td4. i have to double check. all those error messages(several) were popping up one after the other threw me off. i just copied a td4 from another backup and it worked, sp i'm double-checking everything.

what does the thumbs.ini do?
will all my stuff run if i do a simple transfer from tp5 to tp11 or whatever the most popular version is? 5 is very old

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-08-13 12:36:05 »

It stores many of your settings.

will all my stuff run if i do a simple transfer from tp5 to tp11 or whatever the most popular version is? 5 is very old

Hopefully it will, but it has an all-new database format. You can download TP10 and use its Database | Convert TD4 function to see if your old database will continue to work.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-08-13 13:04:31 »

It stores many of your settings.

Hopefully it will, but it has an all-new database format. You can download TP10 and use its Database | Convert TD4 function to see if your old database will continue to work.

what's the most recent version of tp that uses the same format as tp5, that i can download.

32bit windows7 can't use my current 64bit w7 database. i have to manually organized all the new images for the 32bit backup. the only reason i'm still using 32bit is my expensive scanner is 32bit
« Last Edit: 2019-08-13 13:09:21 by miltk »

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2019-08-13 14:10:30 »
what's the most recent version of tp that uses the same format as tp5, that i can download.

ThumbsPlus v7 Sp.2, download: http://www2.cerious.com/binaries/thmpls7sp2.exe

32bit windows7 can't use my current 64bit w7 database.

Not sure what you mean here. The 32/64b difference applies to executable code (programs, drivers, etc), not to data.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2019-08-13 16:01:14 »

Not sure what you mean here. The 32/64b difference applies to executable code (programs, drivers, etc), not to data.

for some reason when i copy td4 from 64bit to 32bit. both lenovo w7 pro. different models but otherwise both w7 pro, the new additional images have to be manually categorized. also, the galleries tab in the image properties are all blank. anyway, just a curiosity because i only use the 32bit for the scanner. all my other backups(64bit...i have SEVERAL computers backing up very important TP images) are fine when i copy the td4. it's just this one 32bit that's not syncing.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2019-08-14 02:45:17 »

ok. this is making me wonder if maybe there's a wrong setting or something.

here's what i do. say i've added 10 images to my source folder in the main computer and had them categorized in my "galleries".

i'll copy both the 10 images and the td4.
then i'll go over to my backup computers, add the 10 images, and replace the old td4 with the latest one.
that is all i'm doing. all the 64bit w7's are fine but when i do the same to my 32bit windows7 the 10 images aren't categorized and the properties/galleries tab in any of the 10 images is blank, so i do it manually.

maybe there's a setting that's not right??

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2019-08-14 18:18:10 »
then i'll go over to my backup computers, add the 10 images, and replace the old td4 with the latest one.
that is all i'm doing. all the 64bit w7's are fine but when i do the same to my 32bit windows7 the 10 images aren't categorized and the properties/galleries tab in any of the 10 images is blank, so i do it manually.

(Again, nothing to do with 32 vs 64 bits).

Are you sure that, on the backup computer, ThumbsPlus is actually using the database that you copied to it? The database name is shown in the title bar of the program and its location should be shown under Help | System Information | Database Path (if v5 already had that dialog screen.. I don't recall, but v7 sure does).

Then, are you sure that the drive on the backup PC to which you have copied the 10 images, has the same volume label and folder structure as the drive in the computer on which the TD4 was originally made? If not, TP cannot match the files that it finds in that folder to the corresponding thumbnail records.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2019-08-19 00:19:54 »
sorry for the late reply. i forgot.

anyway, i always make sure the volume label is the same. everything else is a check and double check

if you can get past the watermark, take a look at the system help "platform". it says XP. this is a 32bit w7 os