Author Topic: migrate database from 1 pc to another  (Read 19389 times)

RogerS

migrate database from 1 pc to another
« on: 2014-01-29 07:47:41 »
I am upgrading from 1 laptop running Tplus 7Pro SP 2 under WIN XP to a new laptop running Tplus 9 Pro 3928 build under WIN 7.

What is the process to migrate the galleries?

The folder structures for images and galleries are identical.

I have tried exporting/importing but the gallery function still thinks the full image in on the old laptop.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-29 08:12:15 »
The volume label(s) of the drive(s) on which your images reside must be the same as on the previous laptop too (change these from outside of ThumbsPlus, without TP running).

If that doesn't solve it, the computer name could still be a problem. You could try changing it on the new laptop, but if you prefer not to have two identically named computers, you could open the database in a database editor like MDB Viewer Plus (freeware from http://www.alexnolan.net/software/mdb_viewer_plus.htm) and change the relevant value to that of the new laptop. As always, keep a backup of your database.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

RogerS

« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-29 09:00:36 »
Thank you for your reply Daan,

following your first line of thought - the old laptop shows a path  of C:\Rogers images\imagennn , but on the new laptop shows \Rogers images\imagennn.

How do I change the first part of the address on the new laptop so that it looks to C:\Rogers images\imagennn? which is where the full image resides.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-29 09:35:10 »
Well, it looks like "Rogers laptop C Drive" was the volume label of drive C: in the old laptop. You could open Explorer on the new laptop (after exiting TP7 there), right-click on drive C: and pick Properties from the bottom of the context menu that appears, then change its name to "Rogers laptop C Drive" (without the quotes) too. Then launch TP7 to see if that did the trick.

According to TP7's documentation it also uses the drive serial number to match fixed drives, but I don't think that's correct. And where the computer name is concerned, I think that's used only for images that were thumbnailed through a network. So, I'm hopeful that just editing the volume label will solve this problem for you.

RogerS

« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-29 09:42:38 »
Daan
that seems to have worked!  Many thanks.

Street Mann

• View Profile
Re: migrate database from 1 pc to another
« Reply #5 on: 2019-01-08 12:36:07 »
Thank you for your reply Daan,

following your first line of thought - the old laptop shows a path  of C:\Rogers images\imagennn , but on the new laptop shows <Rogers laptop C Drive>\Rogers images\imagennn.

How do I change the first part of the address on the new laptop so that it looks to C:\Rogers images\imagennn? which is where the full image resides.

WOW!! thanks for that info on the MDB Viewer!!! It will help in my other work!!!

BarbaraNib

« Reply #6 on: 2019-10-16 12:53:25 »
hi,

Please, if I do a report directly from a table, it shows me the image from stored in a binary field. It shows me the thumbail and also allows me to click to view the image.

But, If I créate a report from a database VIEW that includes the field as it is, the thumbail does not work, and do not allow to open the image.

what can be wrong?

thank you

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: migrate database from 1 pc to another
« Reply #7 on: 2019-10-16 13:36:40 »
Hi BarbaraNib:  I'm not sure if I fully understand your question (and I don't think it is on-topic in this discussion about database migration). But, my short answer is: A thumbnail in the database is not a full JPG image. Rather, it is a so-called jpeg stream, and making it visible may require some extra steps. I know this isn't a full answer but hopefully it puts you on track to finding one.