Author Topic: "open with"  (Read 2824 times)

quixotic

• View Profile
"open with"
« on: 2014-01-16 12:39:19 »
I'm referring to the option available in Windows Explorer.  Is it possible in ThumbsPlus?

I constantly need to open up htm files with Windows Notepad software, but right now, TP only seems to be able to open the htm files with my browser...which does me no good at all.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

• View Profile
"open with"
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-21 08:24:44 »
This can be a hair pulling experience, but here goes:

1.  Be sure TP9 SP1Beta3 (build 3933) is installed.
2.  Click menu "Options".  Click "Customize" from drop down menu.  This will open the "Customize" window.  Click the "Programs" tab.
3.  Click the "New..." button to add an external program.  This will open the "External Programs" window.
4.  In "External Programs" window, be sure cursor is in "Program to run:" entry and type C:\Windows\notepad.exe (or click "..." button and browse to notepad.exe).  The notepad icon will then be displayed in the "Icon:" entry.
5.  Move cursor into "Toolbar & tooltip text:" entry and type the description you want.
6.  Click the "OK" button.  The "External Programs" window will close and return control to "Customize" window.  You should see your notepad entry in the "External Programs (Open With):" list.  Click the "Close" button.
7.  Close ThumbsPlus !!!!!
8.  Open ThumbsPlus
9.  Click menu "File" and mouse over "Open with" and you should see your Notepad entry in the drop down list.
10. Now, go to your htm file thumbnail and click it so it is the highlighted thumbnail.  Then click menu "File", mouse over "Open with" then click your Notepad entry and the htm file will open in Notepad.  TA! DA!

For the hair pulling part, you can drag the entry to your toolbar.  This can screw things up, so be careful ...

1.  Click menu "Options".  Click "Customize" from drop down menu.  This will open the "Customize" window.
2.  Now, click menu "File", CLICK "Open with" from drop down list and your external program list will be displayed.  Click and hold on your notepad entry and drag it to the toolbar where you want the entry.  Click "Close" button on "Customize" window.
3.  Close ThumbsPlus !!!!!
4.  Open ThumbsPlus
4.  Now, go to your htm file thumbnail and click it so it is the highlighted thumbnail.  Then click your Notepad toolbar icon and the htm file will open in Notepad.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Gary