Author Topic: Why is bullding file list so slow on the desktop?  (Read 17185 times)

tommyb709

• View Profile
I have issues with both ThumbsPlus 7 and 10.  Whenever I navigate to the desktop, it takes 6-10 seconds to build the file list.  There are only about 6 files on the desktop, and about 10 folders.

I can navigate to other folders with 14,000+ files in them, and more than 100 subfolders, all with 30 to 150 files almost instantly.  It's only the desktop that is slow, and only in Thumbs.  Explorer is instantaneous.

What is it about the Desktop?

system specs:
i7 6700k
32 GB DDR4
EVGA GeForce 1070
Crucial M2 1GB SSD, HGST 4GB 7200rpm HD
Windows 7 Pro, fully patched

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Why is bullding file list so slow on the desktop?
« Reply #1 on: 2017-02-15 19:04:20 »
> What is it about the Desktop?

Does turning this off make a difference? Options | Preferences | Filetypes: Resolve Windows shortcuts
Or, does switching this setting help? Options | Preferences | Disks&Folders: Indicate expandable branches
Do you have any links on your desktop to very large folders or to resources on a slow (e.g. network) or hybernating drive?
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

tommyb709

• View Profile
Why is building file list so slow on the desktop?
« Reply #2 on: 2017-02-15 19:24:03 »
It was Options | Preferences | Filetypes: Resolve Windows shortcuts.  I had a shortcut on the desktop to a machine on the network that is usually off.  I had unchecked .lnk files in Options | Preferences | Filetypes so they didn't show, but they must still have been trying to resolve.

Many thanks.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-02-15 20:31:26 »
> It was Options | Preferences | Filetypes: Resolve Windows shortcuts.

Good to know, thanks!

Connie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-02-20 07:05:11 »
> > It was Options | Preferences | Filetypes: Resolve Windows shortcuts.
>
> Good to know, thanks!

What does "Resolve Windows Shortcuts" mean?  I looked in the help file and googled it, but can't find anything defining it.

Thanks, Connie

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-02-20 11:27:05 »
> What does "Resolve Windows Shortcuts" mean?

It treats shortcuts like the resource that they link to. In other words, if you create a shortcut to an image, the thumbnail of that shortcut file (.lnk) will be the same as that of the actual image file.

Shortcuts were (are?) sometimes used to make sets or collections of images without having to duplicate the actual images. On a clipart CD for instance, you might have a linedrawing of a boy unwrapping a new train set under the christmas tree. That image would fit 5 categories: children, holidays, christmas, toys, black-and-white. The CD would have a folder for each category so you could browse them, but these folders would only hold shortcuts - otherwise, each image file would have to be copied to every category/folder to which it belonged, creating lots of duplicates that would eat tons of space.

mschnell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-03-04 16:45:22 »
How nicely the standard Linux file system can do this with hard and/or soft links since ever ...

In fact, AFAIK, the actual version of the Windows file system can do this as well (joins, ...)

-Michael