Author Topic: How to "get started"  (Read 16491 times)

jwaldis

• View Profile
How to "get started"
« on: 2019-08-10 10:41:48 »
Sorry, but I'm trying to get started (again, after first using the program several years ago), and I need some help.
I have a very large number of scanned 35mm color slides (i.e., no useful "metadata" regarding the original source).  I have them grouped in different folders, but I want to tag them with a hierarchical-style "index" so I can find individual dates, individuals, and other subjects.  When I'm finished I'd like to be able to find slides with "Dana" (my daughter) as one identifying point.  Add to that I'd also like to add ("1972" or "1973-1974" or "Guam" or any number of other attributes.
I would add these attributes to the slides by selecting them from a group/folder and tagging them with the identifying information.
There are "Keywords" and "Categories" but much of the information is expected to come from the metadata of a JPEG photogram, not a scanned slide.
Can somebody give some basic starting information?  (I don't know if this forum sends notifications to my email, so if you send it to jwaldis@gmail.com, that would help.)
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to "get started"
« Reply #1 on: 2019-08-10 15:05:49 »
I have a very large number of scanned 35mm color slides (i.e., no useful "metadata" regarding the original source).

Which image file format have these been saved in?

I have them grouped in different folders, but I want to tag them with a hierarchical-style "index" so I can find individual dates, individuals, and other subjects.

ThumbsPlus allows you to enter keywords and annotations in the database, and to copy that information into the metadata of the image files themselves (if their format suits that purpose). ThumbsPlus does not support hierarchies of data (other than in the folder structure of course).

When I'm finished I'd like to be able to find slides with "Dana" (my daughter) as one identifying point.  Add to that I'd also like to add ("1972" or "1973-1974" or "Guam" or any number of other attributes.
I would add these attributes to the slides by selecting them from a group/folder and tagging them with the identifying information.

An easy and practical approach is often to name the image files after their date taken, in YYYYMMDD-nnn format (nnn being a counter for when multiple images were taken the same day), so that you can simply sort them alphabetically to find images from a certain year, month or date range. Then, depending on their quantity, store them in folders named "1972" or "1972\01" through "1972\12". Then select images and assign identifying keywords such as names, locations, et cetera.

There are "Keywords" and "Categories" but much of the information is expected to come from the metadata of a JPEG photogram, not a scanned slide.

What do you mean by photogram? Will you attach metadata to the scanned slides themselves or not?

Can somebody give some basic starting information?  (I don't know if this forum sends notifications to my email, so if you send it to jwaldis@gmail.com, that would help.)

Have you tried the Notify button above your message?
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

jwaldis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-08-11 06:48:41 »
Thanks very much.  I guess I'm looking for another program which will allow me to sort out these JPEG files more easily.  Nevertheless, I really do appreciate your very helpful reply. 
"Which image file format have these been saved in?"
JPEG at 1000 DPI. 

"What do you mean by photogram?"
Sorry. "Photograph."

"Have you tried the Notify button above your message?"
Thanks for that.  I changed that for future notes.

jwaldis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-08-11 06:49:35 »
Thanks very much.  I guess I'm looking for another program which will allow me to sort out these JPEG files more easily.  Nevertheless, I really do appreciate your very helpful reply. 
"Which image file format have these been saved in?"
JPEG at 1000 DPI. 

"What do you mean by photogram?"
Sorry. "Photograph."

"Have you tried the Notify button above your message?"
Thanks for that.  I changed that for future notes.