Author Topic: Custom Menus  (Read 5448 times)

j

• View Profile
Custom Menus
« on: 2013-07-13 16:27:53 »
Hi fellow ThumbsPlusians:

I am very close to some serious ThumbsPlus nirvana, but I can't quite get there.  Maybe someone can help me.

I've managed to add a menu item to the main menu in the View window, so that the menu now reads:

File, Edit, Image, Transform, View, New Menu, Help

I cannot quite figure out how to rename "New Menu" to something else (for instance, "J"), and how to underline a letter.

Anyone have an answer?

Thanks,
J

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Custom Menus
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-13 16:50:30 »
Right-click on the new menu entry and choose Customize. A window opens that you can just ignore (but leave on screen). Right-click on the menu item again, and a context menu appears from which you can edit its name.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

j

• View Profile
Custom Menus
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-13 17:14:57 »
Oooo, that's it!  That was awesome!  Thanks Daan!

One more thing.

When trimming to proportion, the masked area can be flipped between portrait and landscape by right-clicking on it.  Is there a keyboard shortcut that does the same thing?

Thanks!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Custom Menus
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-13 18:01:28 »
> When trimming to proportion, the masked area can be flipped between portrait and landscape by right-clicking on it.  Is there a keyboard shortcut that does the same thing?

I don't think there is! (but I would be happy to learn that I'm wrong :)

mschnell

• View Profile
Custom Menus
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-14 06:27:13 »
>I've managed to add a menu item to the main menu in the View window, so that the menu now reads: File, Edit, Image, Transform, View, New Menu, Help

How did you do this.

I did try and I was able to create an additional "Custom 1" bar, but I failed on (simply) creating another menue.

I.e. I intend to call one or several a custom Python scripts with this menue or it's siblings.

Do you want to do something like this, as well ?

-Michael

j

• View Profile
Custom Menus
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-14 07:26:21 »
> >I've managed to add a menu item to the main menu in the View window, so that the menu now reads: File, Edit, Image, Transform, View, New Menu, Help
>
> How did you do this.
>
> I did try and I was able to create an additional "Custom 1" bar, but I failed on (simply) creating another menue.
>
> I.e. I intend to call one or several a custom Python scripts with this menue or it's siblings.
>
> Do you want to do something like this, as well ?
>
> -Michael

Options / Customize / Commands

Then in Categories scroll down to New Menu at the bottom.  Then in Commands, drag New Menu to your menu bar.

Now you'll have an item in your menu named New Menu.  You can right-click on it and edit its properties.

If you shut the Customize dialog you have to reopen it in order to edit the new menu item's properties.

I want it so that I can group some frequently used commands in an easy-to-access location.  For instance I frequently crop pictures to the same proportion.  That's alt-t, ti, r.  Doesn't sound like much, but by putting it on a custom menu, it becomes alt-j, c.  Much faster and doesn't break my thought process as much.

Cheers!

mschnell

• View Profile
Custom Menus
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-21 02:18:10 »
Thanks for the reply ! (I forgot to check the notification box and so I only now foumnd it)

>Options / Customize / Commands
I did see this before

>Then in Categories scroll down to New Menu at the bottom. Then in Commands, drag New Menu to your menu bar.

Ahhh ! I did not find out that I need to drag&drop !(I do see that it is written there ;) )

>Now you'll have an item in your menu named New Menu. You can right-click on it and edit its properties.

I in fact have the "New Menu" and clicking on same opens an empty sub-menu box.

I was able to rename it following the instructions Daan provided.

>If you shut the Customize dialog you have to reopen it in order to edit the new menu item's properties.

That is what I did.

>I want it so that I can group some frequently used commands in an easy-to-access location. For instance I frequently crop pictures to the same proportion. That's alt-t, ti, r. Doesn't sound like much, but by putting it on a custom menu, it becomes alt-j, c. Much faster and doesn't break my thought process as much.

Nice.

But My intention is to tart some Python scripts I am going to write with that menu. Any Idea how to do that ?

-Michael

mschnell

• View Profile
Custom Menus
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-21 02:31:42 »
In fact I could drag and drop stuff Like "Customize" -> "Commands" -> "Python" -> "Run"

Into the menu and thus they appear as a sub-menu.

Right click on that sub-menue now allow for changing the the picture shown. But I don't find a way to assign a Python script to that sub-menu.

-Michael

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Custom Menus
« Reply #8 on: 2016-01-31 08:57:59 »
> Right click on that sub-menue now allow for changing the the picture shown. But I don't find a way to assign a Python script to that sub-menu.

Does [msg=102]this old message[/msg] from Jose Filipa (Cerious) help? It seems to explain how to replace a Python menu item with a new one (but not how to add your own menu entries - however, when Customize is open, you can Ctrl-Drag an external command onto a menu to create a menu entry for it. Maybe you can then replace that entry with a script afterwards??):

(He also once posted a message about launching scripts from the Python panel: [msg]484[/msg])