Author Topic: old tp on w10 i may have asked before  (Read 16926 times)

miltk

• View Profile
old tp on w10 i may have asked before
« on: 2020-05-12 00:32:27 »
i may have asked this before but i lost the thread. can i migrate from w7 to w10?

history: i used to do all my work on wXP w/ tp5. with daan's help i'm on w7 now with the following,,,, tp5 is installed on C: instead of  in /program files and the source image folder in /program files

what would i need to do to migrate everything to w10 or the surface pro?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: old tp on w10 i may have asked before
« Reply #1 on: 2020-05-12 09:25:54 »
i may have asked this before but i lost the thread.

You can view all your old messages here:

http://forum.thumbsplus.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=27817

can i migrate from w7 to w10?

ThumbsPlus 5 was developed in the days of Windows 98 and XP. It was never tested on any current Windows version.

In other words, you can try but it's on your own risk.

Would that be on a new computer or are you just upgrading the Windows version on your current computer?

Do you want to keep your database (for all the keywords, annotations, off-line items, etc, that are in it) or would it be OK if you had to make a new one?
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-05-12 16:29:45 »
i may have asked this before but i lost the thread.

You can view all your old messages here:

http://forum.thumbsplus.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=27817

can i migrate from w7 to w10?

ThumbsPlus 5 was developed in the days of Windows 98 and XP. It was never tested on any current Windows version.

In other words, you can try but it's on your own risk.

Would that be on a new computer or are you just upgrading the Windows version on your current computer?

Do you want to keep your database (for all the keywords, annotations, off-line items, etc, that are in it) or would it be OK if you had to make a new one?

top5 works on w7. I just do what you told me to do and it's fine. do you think for seamless and safety sake I should at least go to another version of tp and import all data from 5?

and I am thinking of getting a surface pro which is w10, and why I want to know

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-05-12 19:19:11 »

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-05-12 20:26:28 »

i want to keep everything. i have thousands of images on file. therefore i need to migrate everything intact. if tp5-td4/windows7 to surface pro/w10 is impossible, i need to know a work around. currently i DO NOT have surface pro/w10. i need to know if it's do-able before purchasing a surface pro
« Last Edit: 2020-05-12 20:31:05 by miltk »

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-05-13 16:10:44 »
Well, there are no guarantees that an older version like TP5 will work on Windows 10. I don't know anyone who uses TP on a Surface Pro and I'm not familiar with that specific type of computer. On the other hand, I do not know of any reasons why it would not work, either..

If you want to keep everything, you must:

- Copy your images to exactly the same location on the new computer (the folder structure must remain identical)
- Make sure that the volume label of the drive on which the images are stored, is identical to that on the old computer.
- Then install your old TP into a folder of its own (Not in Program Files or any other system folder. For instance: C:\Thumbs5).
- Copy your thumbs.td4 database into that folder, overwriting the empty .td4 that the installer had put there.
- Then launch TP and see if everything works as hoped for. As your first action, you may want to turn off "Options | Preferences | Thumbnails | Make Thumbnails Automatically", to be sure  that the thumbnails that you see, are the same ones that you already had on the old computer and not new ones that TP has been making on the fly.

Alternatively, I guess you could purchase an upgrade to TP10 and install it on your current computer (in a different folder than your old TP5 -- you can run multiple versions side by side, as long as each is in a folder of its own. Contrary to TP5, TP10 can be installed to a regular folder in Program Files). Convert your database to the new format. When that works, you could install TP10 on your new Surface Pro, copy the image files and database, and that should work.

As to this Surface Pro, it might be wise to ask Cerious if they are aware of any issues running TP on it.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-05-14 15:25:40 »
Well, there are no guarantees that an older version like TP5 will work on Windows 10. I don't know anyone who uses TP on a Surface Pro and I'm not familiar with that specific type of computer. On the other hand, I do not know of any reasons why it would not work, either..

If you want to keep everything, you must:

- Copy your images to exactly the same location on the new computer (the folder structure must remain identical)
- Make sure that the volume label of the drive on which the images are stored, is identical to that on the old computer.
- Then install your old TP into a folder of its own (Not in Program Files or any other system folder. For instance: C:\Thumbs5).
- Copy your thumbs.td4 database into that folder, overwriting the empty .td4 that the installer had put there.
- Then launch TP and see if everything works as hoped for. As your first action, you may want to turn off "Options | Preferences | Thumbnails | Make Thumbnails Automatically", to be sure  that the thumbnails that you see, are the same ones that you already had on the old computer and not new ones that TP has been making on the fly.

Alternatively, I guess you could purchase an upgrade to TP10 and install it on your current computer (in a different folder than your old TP5 -- you can run multiple versions side by side, as long as each is in a folder of its own. Contrary to TP5, TP10 can be installed to a regular folder in Program Files). Convert your database to the new format. When that works, you could install TP10 on your new Surface Pro, copy the image files and database, and that should work.

As to this Surface Pro, it might be wise to ask Cerious if they are aware of any issues running TP on it.

how do i do this? do you mean just updating td4 in tp10

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2020-05-14 16:23:44 »
TP10 has a function Database | Advanced | Convert .TD4 for that purpose.