Author Topic: Importing photos from memory card?  (Read 3577 times)

Lengo

• View Profile
Importing photos from memory card?
« on: 2014-06-03 16:34:27 »
How does one do this? My old camera had a utility to import photos but it doesn't work with Windows 7. What do I need to make TP 9 use a memory card reader? Do I need to get twain software to go with the reader? The specs on the reader say nothing about twain software.

Windows' Photo gallery will most likely read the card reader, but I'd rather do this from within Thumbsplus. Please tell me what I need.

Thanks.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-06-03 21:59:18 »
When you insert a card in a Windows compatible card reader, it should assign a drive letter to it. So, you can simply lookup that drive in the tree and move or copy the images to your harddrive.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Lengo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-06-04 09:01:30 »
Thanks. Fortuantely these card readers are inexpensive. I've ordered one from Newegg and it was under $20 with the shipping. I should have the reader in a couple of days.

Thanks for your timely reply.

Jim McClain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-06-09 00:17:16 »
I usually just plug a USB cable into the camera and then the computer. Windows pops a window up asking what I want to do and viewing or opening them in Thumbs was an option I added a long time ago. Or, I can close the dialog and just open Thumbs and navigate to the drive letter assigned to the camera's card. I never have to take the card out of the camera.

Jim

Lengo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-06-09 18:53:01 »
Thanks, but that no longer works for me due to 'upgrading' to Windows 7. I used to be able to plug my camera in using an application with WinXP, but Microsoft's Win 7 shows no remorse for not working, and Canon has no application for Win7 to allow you to do this. So I gotta do it the old fashioned (hard) way.

I have a card reader. I have not tried to copy a card's contents using Thumbsplus, but I'm confident it will work. If not, I still have a work-around.

Thanks for the info. Say no to Microsoft for making most of my software and games obsolete!

Jim McClain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-06-09 19:09:22 »
Sorry, I'm not anti-Microsoft. If your camera has a USB port, my instructions will work. You don't need special software. If your camera doesn't have a USB port, then of course, all bets are off. It's not MS' fault, in that case. If your camera doesn't have a USB port, then it's not the camera's fault either. It came out before USB - although I think that's highly unlikely. What camera is it (make and model)?

Jim

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-06-09 20:12:59 »
> If your camera has a USB port, my instructions will work.

Some Canon cameras that have a USB port do not support mass storage mode, which is required if you want Windows to see the camera as a drive. If he was using an app before, then it probably uses PTP (picture xfer protocol).

For the topic starter: Still, you should be able to do in Windows 7 what you did in XP. Have a look at this page on Canon's site, and if that doesn't help, check the FAQ's and downloads for your specific camera model. There are updates for applications like Zoombrowser that work with Win 7.

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_5D.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:13-1074099&page=1&type=faq

(note: this is Canon Europe, you should probably use Canon USA if that's where you are).
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.