Author Topic: Google Drive  (Read 2849 times)

itsdavid

• View Profile
Google Drive
« on: 2014-10-23 15:48:49 »
My TPv9sp1 is set up to keep track of all of my picture and videos in my Windows Library. I want to keep my media backup up off site, say, with Google Drive. Here's my question: Is there any reason I shouldn't simply drag my Pictures and Vidoes folders (in my Library) to my local Google Drive? Or...

To compound my question, for one reason or another that has escaped me over time, I've been creating Keywords for many many years via the Network directory. In other words, I go to my Network folder to work with my TP (I don't go directly to the Library Pictures and Videos folders [except to add files from my cameras].

Last night I noticed only the keywords only "show" if I go "through" my network folder to view my media; if I go to the Pictures and Videos folder, the keywords aren't there. So, should I just drag the Network folders (Pictures and Videos) to my local google drive location....and then just delete the Pictures and Videos folders from the Library?

It's amazing how complicated it is to explain a simple task like tying your shoes....in writing....

Thank you for your help!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Google Drive
« Reply #1 on: 2014-10-23 19:04:56 »
ThumbsPlus identifies image files by their name and location, and it matches the files to their thumbnail records that same way. So, image files thumbnailed through their network location are considered separate from the same files thumbnailed through their local path. That explains why your keywords only show up with the thumbnails that were created through the network path.

> I want to keep my media backup up off site, say, with Google Drive. Here's my question: Is there any reason I shouldn't simply drag my Pictures and Vidoes folders (in my Library) to my local Google Drive? Or...

No, just be careful not to move them (instead of copy).

> So, should I just drag the Network folders (Pictures and Videos) to my local google drive location....

If these are just a backup, it doesn't really matter how you copy the files. If you use ThumbsPlus to do it, it will also copy the thumbnail records in the database (including keywords if you copy them from the network folder). That would allow you to browse your backup images in TP and see their keywords, but I'm not sure if that would serve any practical purpose. The general purpose of a backup is being able to recover from data loss. Well, if you lose a file, you can just copy it back from the backup to your working folder (doesn't matter how you copy it) and it will be restored, and ThumbsPlus will show its thumbnail record (unless 'automatically remove orphans' was on and TP had noticed that the image file went missing - in that case it would have deleted its thumbnail record).

> [...] and then just delete the Pictures and Videos folders from the Library?

I'm not sure what you mean by Windows Library. But don't delete any image files from your harddisk if you plan to keep working with them! :)
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

itsdavid

• View Profile
Google Drive
« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-24 13:54:57 »
You're the man - as always. Although I may forget TP details over the years, I shall never forget your name :)

May I return to your very first reply paragraph: I've rethought what I want to do and have decided it'd likely be best for me to work strictly via the original photo location...rather than through the Network, as in the past.

Forgetting everything after your first paragraph, how do I move my Keywords back to the actual local location; meaning, I will no longer continue to add Keywords via the Network folder?

I'm thinking I should probably create a folder, say, "Pictures2"; drag the Network > Pictures folder to that new location...and, when done, rename Pictures2 back to Pictures. Good plan?

Do I need to say it again for the past hundred times: ThumbsPlus ROCKS!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Google Drive
« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-24 15:20:52 »
> I'm thinking I should probably create a folder, say, "Pictures2"; drag the Network > Pictures folder to that new location...and, when done, rename Pictures2 back to Pictures. Good plan?

Yes, that should do it! (if you do the renaming in TP too).

Still I'd recommend having a backup of both the images and the database :-)
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.