Author Topic: Editing Thumbs9.ini for Customized StartUp  (Read 2654 times)

DRMARK

• View Profile
Editing Thumbs9.ini for Customized StartUp
« on: 2014-03-27 16:08:09 »
Our dental office would like to create a utility that edits the Thumbs9.ini file before start-up of ThumbsPlus so that TP will open with certain pre-set data for the patient that we are currently treating.

We have noticed that there are at least two versions of Thumbs9.ini.
One begins with [CheckForUpdates] while the other begins with [Startup]

It seems from this that the various sub-sections of the INI file do NOT need to be in any particular order? Is that correct?

For example, there is a section entitled [AutoTwain] which has a line that begins "Pattern=" to which we want to concatenate a customized filter for our current patient.

Can we place that [AutoTwain] section anywhere in the Thumbs9.ini file as long as we keep the entire section together?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-28 03:17:17 »
> We have noticed that there are at least two versions of Thumbs9.ini.
> One begins with [CheckForUpdates] while the other begins with [Startup]

It should only be using the one located in the "preferences path" shown in Help | System Info.

> It seems from this that the various sub-sections of the INI file do NOT need to be in any particular order? Is that correct?

> Can we place that [AutoTwain] section anywhere in the Thumbs9.ini file as long as we keep the entire section together?

Yes, that's how .ini files work.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

DRMARK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-28 13:18:23 »
Thank you for your quick & detailed response, Daan!

The "release notes 8.0" included with Thumbs9 state that "Some important database-related information that was previously stored in the INI file is now stored in the database, preventing accidental change by user".

The reason that we mention this is because we are having a problem editing the Thumbs9.ini to open with the search filter that we want.

Do you know what global parameters, (e.g. "NameMask"), in the Thumbs9.ini file, MUST be changed in order to control the choice of selected file filter at start-up?

Do you think that some of the filter data is stored elsewhere in "the database".

The release notes mention a TDO file. Does Thumbs9 use the *.TDO file?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-28 15:04:55 »
> Do you think that some of the filter data is stored elsewhere in "the database".

No, not to my knowledge.

> The release notes mention a TDO file. Does Thumbs9 use the *.TDO file?

No, TDO files were abandoned with v8.

> Do you know what global parameters, (e.g. "NameMask"), in the Thumbs9.ini file, MUST be changed in order to control the choice of selected file filter at start-up?

To me it seems that TP, at startup, is always applying the last-used filename mask, and it is stored in the FileMask= entry in the [FileList] section of Thumbs9.ini.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.