Author Topic: TP7 won't show full screen files  (Read 3969 times)

Arlene Ripley

• View Profile
TP7 won't show full screen files
« on: 2011-12-18 12:23:53 »
When I look at photos directly from my flash card using slideshow in TP7, it shows the files full screen. But when I download them to my hard drive and then view them in slide show they will not display full screen (they are .dng files). All of the .jpg files do show full screen. Is it something to do with the file size? Most are over 18 MB. Is there some setting I need to change?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-18 12:32:56 »
Right-click on a .dng file and choose Configure Type. See which plug-in is being used to load them.
Then go to Options | File Plug-ins and go to the relevant plug-in. It may or may not be using the built-in preview images that are embedded in your DNG files. If it does and those preview images are small, that might explain it.

For general slideshow settings, including if and how images will be resized to full screen size, see Options | Viewing | Slideshow.
To experiment with those settings, use Alt-F8 to review the settings and launch the slideshow.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Arlene Ripley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-26 16:12:35 »
Thanks for your reply.

The plug-in being used is Cerious Plug-in and then plug_digicam.tpp. I've tried changing to the other options (I am using Photoshop CS3) but no improvement, some of them much worse. I don't understand about "built-in preview images embedded in the DNG files." I do notice that my .CR2 files do display full screen making me think it has to do with the DNG files. Is there any solultion to this or should I just stop converting my CR2 files to DNG? I've had to switch to Adobe Bridge to view my DNG files in larger format.

Slideshow settings are set to full screen but it doesn't seem to want to work that way.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-26 18:32:17 »
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> The plug-in being used is Cerious Plug-in and then plug_digicam.tpp. I've tried changing to the other options (I am using Photoshop CS3) but no improvement, some of them much worse. I don't understand about "built-in preview images embedded in the DNG files." I do notice that my .CR2 files do display full screen making me think it has to do with the DNG files. Is there any solultion to this or should I just stop converting my CR2 files to DNG? I've had to switch to Adobe Bridge to view my DNG files in larger format.
>
> Slideshow settings are set to full screen but it doesn't seem to want to work that way.

Raw files (such as CR2 and DNG) have preview images built into them so that photo viewing applications can display their contents quickly, without having to process all the raw sensor data that's inside these files and turning it into a viewable image (which can easily take 4-15 seconds per image).

So, an explanation for the behavior that you're seeing could have been that ThumbsPlus is using this preview image (rather than the full sensor data) for slideshows, and that the DNG files have smaller previews built in than the CR2 files. If that's not it, I don't know what else could be causing it. But then, raw files are not very suitable for slideshows to begin with, because of that long processing time. If you're one of those users who use the slideshow to view and cull images, I'd suggest using the regular viewer for those purposes instead. In the viewer, you can use Space and Backspace to move back and forth through your images.

Some people convert their original raw files into DNG thinking that the DNG format will be supported for much longer into the future than CR2 files. I doubt if that's true and personally, I'd never do anything to my original files that might lead to a loss of data or that may not be processed as well as my native raw files are by their native applications - in other words, I'd want to keep them in Canon's CR2 format and keep the option to use Canon's software to process them.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Arlene Ripley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-26 21:25:36 »
Daan,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm abandoning DNG and going back to Canon's raw format. That should end at least this one problem I'm having with Thumbs.