Author Topic: Task name: Make tree - AutomaticallyStarts Upon Every Launch  (Read 3731 times)

bryan_s_walker@yahoo.com

• View Profile
Good day all;

TP9 Pro SP1 evaluation still as I haven't received my "upgrade" code.

In any event, every time I launch TP9 it automatically starts this "Make tree" task which happens to be a lot more graphics than I want in my TP9 DB. I have not set this configuration to run automatically as if I would have the "Task path" listed in the attached graphic would not have started in that folder, therefore I know that I didn't configure it to run (not intentionally anyway).
I can't seem to figure out how to make it stop or reconfigure it and point it to start in the proper folder? Anybody have any insight to this issue? My guess is that it is some setting that I am missing somewhere, but I've gone through all of them over and over, as well, I've been using TP since ver.2 so I am familiar with their programming techniques to a certain point.

TIA

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Task name: Make tree - AutomaticallyStarts Upon Every Launch
« Reply #1 on: 2014-08-17 17:27:33 »
I'm not sure what's taking so much time there, but I'd start by making TP start in the correct location: Options | Preferences |  Startup | Initial Folder.

If building the tree, or the thumbnail listing, still takes a lot of time, you can use various options in Options > Preferences > Disks & Folders to exclude irrelevant drives and the network neighborhood from display, or to not show ZIP-files as folders (which might be your problem?) or to turn 'indicate expandable folders' off, et cetera. And if you have folders with many thousands of files, not showing any user fields in the thumbnail listing tends to speed things up considerably too.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

bryan_s_walker@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-17 18:22:17 »
> I'm not sure what's taking so much time there, but I'd start by making TP start in the correct location: Options | Preferences |  Startup | Initial Folder.
>
> If building the tree, or the thumbnail listing, still takes a lot of time, you can use various options in Options > Preferences > Disks & Folders to exclude irrelevant drives and the network neighborhood from display, or to not show ZIP-files as folders (which might be your problem?) or to turn 'indicate expandable folders' off, et cetera. And if you have folders with many thousands of files, not showing any user fields in the thumbnail listing tends to speed things up considerably too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct location? It's a customizable field, therefore ANY location should be a "correct location"!

Secondly, are you telling me that scanning and automatically building thumbnails even though "Make thumbnails automatically" is not set, is supposed to happen? A feature of TP9? That certainly doesn't sound correct to me by any means! I don't what TP to start in the default location and I also don't want TP to automatically scan and build thumbnails when I've specifically told it NOT TOO!

Anybody else have any bright ideas?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-08-17 20:58:10 »
> Correct location? It's a customizable field, therefore ANY location should be a "correct location"!

Hey, you wanted to know where you could set TP to start in the "proper folder". No need to take offense when you get the right answer. Obviously, whatever is proper or correct here is for you to decide.

> Secondly, are you telling me that scanning and automatically building thumbnails even though "Make thumbnails automatically" is not set, is supposed to happen?

There seems to be some miscommunication here. You were talking about "make tree" which I interpreted as ThumbsPlus building the tree that's displayed in its tree panel. Apparently what you meant was Scan Tree, and now your message makes more sense.

Anyway, I think the problem is simply that you're still running the program in evaluation mode. If it did not scan the tree, Cerious would get swamped with questions from new users asking them where the thumbnails are. "Make thumbnails automatically" works on a folder-by-folder basis, so I don't think that's what is happening here.

bryan_s_walker@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-08-18 17:55:48 »
> > Correct location? It's a customizable field, therefore ANY location should be a "correct location"!
>
> Hey, you wanted to know where you could set TP to start in the "proper folder". No need to take offense when you get the right answer. Obviously, whatever is proper or correct here is for you to decide.
>
> > Secondly, are you telling me that scanning and automatically building thumbnails even though "Make thumbnails automatically" is not set, is supposed to happen?
>
> There seems to be some miscommunication here. You were talking about "make tree" which I interpreted as ThumbsPlus building the tree that's displayed in its tree panel. Apparently what you meant was Scan Tree, and now your message makes more sense.
>
> Anyway, I think the problem is simply that you're still running the program in evaluation mode. If it did not scan the tree, Cerious would get swamped with questions from new users asking them where the thumbnails are. "Make thumbnails automatically" works on a folder-by-folder basis, so I don't think that's what is happening here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if I sounded hasty with you as I know you're only attempting to assist, my bad!

Anyway, I tried setting the default startup location to several different locations and kept the path of E:\PiX completely out of any of the configuration I can input, however the DB certainly points to this location as this is where I keep nearly all of my graphics. I even received my registration key from Laura and input that right away and it successfully validated, but unfortunately the problem seems to be getting worse!

Now this mysterious automatic task just starts up whenever I have TP9 open! I've had it open now for about 45 minutes and I've already had to quit this task several times. I am thinking my next option is to completely uninstall TP9 and then re-install it and register it during the installation, thus keeping the evaluation product out of the scenario - I don't know what else to try?

My PC is malware and virus free as it gets scanned every night for both.

Your thoughts kind Sir?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-08-18 18:24:43 »
> Your thoughts kind Sir?

I'm baffled, befuddled and bewildered. But I'd try two other things before uninstalling and reinstalling:

[*]Verify that the database isn't read-only: Make some thumbnails in a folder that this auto-scan task hasn't touched yet. Exit TP, relaunch it, kill that mysterious auto-scan task again and see if your thumbnails are still there. If they're not, your database is probably located in a folder where it can't be written to due to UAC (make a new one elsewhere and make that your default startup database).

[*]Exit ThumbsPlus, delete thumbs9.ini and thumbs9.config on the off chance that there's something wrong with your settings. These files are located in the 'preferences folder' as shown in Help | System Information. Then re-launch TP.
    [/list]

If all that fails, I'd call an exorcist .

bryan_s_walker@yahoo.com

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: 2014-08-18 19:44:13 »
    I think I figured it out.

The Thumbs.ini file had the following entry in it:
    [WatchedFolders]
    0=E:\PiX:1:

I edited it so it now reads:
    [WatchedFolders]
    0=E:\PiX:0:

Changing the 1 to a 0 turned off the "watched folders" feature, have you will? In any event since I've made that change this mysterious automatic task has not reappeared!

Funny thing though, I don't know where TP9 was told to watch that folder? As well, what told it to make thumbnails automatically?

> > Your thoughts kind Sir?
    >
    > I'm baffled, befuddled and bewildered. But I'd try two other things before uninstalling and reinstalling:
    >
    >
      >
    [*]Verify that the database isn't read-only: Make some thumbnails in a folder that this auto-scan task hasn't touched yet. Exit TP, relaunch it, kill that mysterious auto-scan task again and see if your thumbnails are still there. If they're not, your database is probably located in a folder where it can't be written to due to UAC (make a new one elsewhere and make that your default startup database).
    >  
    > [*]Exit ThumbsPlus, delete thumbs9.ini and thumbs9.config on the off chance that there's something wrong with your settings. These files are located in the 'preferences folder' as shown in Help | System Information. Then re-launch TP.
    > [/list]
    >
    > If all that fails, I'd call an exorcist .

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: 2014-08-18 20:18:43 »
    > The Thumbs.ini file had the following entry in it:
    > [WatchedFolders]
    > 0=E:\PiX:1:

Of course!! I should have thought of that.. (well, my 2nd suggestion would have solved it, so I guess my honour has been preserved :)

Tree | Watch Folders (Ctrl-Shift-G) is where 'watched folders' are set up. When a folder is being monitored that way, TP will automatically make thumbnails for any not-yet-thumbnailed files that it finds there.