Author Topic: ODBC on Win7 64 bit: Pitfalls & Advice  (Read 2575 times)

Harry

ODBC on Win7 64 bit: Pitfalls & Advice
« on: 2013-07-06 20:33:02 »
I have TP9 Home Network talking to mySQL on a NAS
  -  TP client on 32 bit Win 7 Ultimate, no problems
  -  TP client on 64 bit Win 7 Home Premium, cant get ODBC connection

The main symptom is that the ODBC drivers don't appear in the ODBC admin app, so the ODBC connection cannot be created.  
Second symptoms is that after creating a 64 bit mySQL ODBC driver ( the only type that can be found in the TP ODBC setup) and verifying that Test is OK in the setup window, TP9 crashes when started with this driver.

Researching on the web it appears that:

a) There are separate 32 and 64 bit ODBC drivers and the two separate ODBC admin tools in 64 bit Windows - 32 bit version in %SystemRoot%System32 and 64 bit version in %SystemRoot%SysWOW64

b) A consistent 32 or 64 bit environment is needed between app and driver.

Questions to Cerious/Forum:

1)  Comments on the above?

2)  How is TP9 running on 64bit Win 7 - 32 bit or 64 bit (looks like 32 bit to me)

3)  Which mySQL ODBC drivers are recommended for TP9 on 64 bit Win 7 - 32 or 64 bit (seems should be 32 bit) but I cannot get TP9 to see the 32 bit drivers, only 64 bit.

4)  Has TP9 been tested with mySQL 64 bit mySQL ODBC drivers,  these are the only ones that I can get TP to see but then it crashes (crash dump sent).

Thanks for forum feedback and advice from Cerious.  I like TP a lot and it's frustrating that I cannot get it to work on some computers here.

harry

Harry

« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-06 21:56:25 »
Update

Indeed, running on 64bit Win 7, TP9 only sees mySQL 64 bit ODBC drivers.

-  if the Unicode driver is selected, TP9 reports a series of connection errors, "4-byte characters not supported".  Good that a connection is made, bad that its wrong encoding.

-  if the ANSI driver is selected, TP9 crashes immediately after OK clicked.  That's worse, I guess.

32 bit drivers cannot be accessed, so far as I can see.

harry

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-08 03:29:29 »
I am running TP9 on 64 bit Win 7, with 64 bit MySQL and 32 bit MySQL ODBC connector and it works fine.

You have to download and install the 32 bit MySQL ODBC connector manually as it doesn't come as part of the 64 bit MySQL package.

[link]http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html[/link]

TP9 does indeed crash with 64 bit ODBC drivers, but TP9 is a 32 bit app so it is to be expected.