All forums > General Discussion

Reviving old database and HD paths have changed

<< < (2/2)

mellortime:
why can I not see the Import function?  I'm using TP10 and I'm going to Database->Advanced and I don't see it.  The only options I see are Backup, Restore, Move Thumbnails to Files ..., Jpeg Compress ..., Convert TD4 ..., Convert Client/Server ..., Open in MS Access (this option is greyed out).
Could it be that I'm using the "Standard" version?  Also, my version is still a Trial - I purchased a key a couple days ago but haven't received it yet via email.

Daan van Rooijen:

--- Quote from: mellortime on 2019-05-12 12:30:08 ---why can I not see the Import function?
--- End quote ---

I don't know - it could be for either of the reasons that you cite. Or maybe they removed the import/export commands (I'm using an older v10, build 4001 from July 2015) but I don't see that mentioned in the release notes.

westdale:
I hope you don't mind my jumping into this thread. 
I am planning what to do when my NAS drive needs replacing.

The inbuilt help is a little unclear as to what words like 'label' mean and the effects they have.
In your first response, you say "Make sure that the drive volume labels are exactly the same as before,"

From the Volume Properties popup I currently have
Drive X:\  Volume type : Network drive
Label  "xavi$"  ; Serial 261a7d3d  ;  File sys type  NTFS ; Max filename 255; 
Network \\BUFFALO\xavi$
Volume alias is blank.

Q1: is 'label' in the volume properties always just the sharename on the NAS drive?
Q2: is what you refer to as 'drive volume label' the sharename  or is it what Thumbs calls 'Network'?
Q3 : if I move the complete structure with thumbs folders  from \\BUFFALO\xavi$ to \\OTHERDRIVE\xavi$ 
       are there settings of the Preferences
       'Match network volume using share name' and 'ignore network drive labels'
       that will allow me to simply copy over and match Thumbs database to the moved data?
Many thanks

Daan van Rooijen:

--- Quote ---The inbuilt help is a little unclear as to what words like 'label' mean and the effects they have.
--- End quote ---

A volume label is a name that you have assigned to a drive. In the DOS days we would use the VOLUME command for that, under Windows it can be set through the drive properties.

--- Quote ---In your first response, you say "Make sure that the drive volume labels are exactly the same as before,"
--- End quote ---

Yes, but that applies to regular local drives, not (necessarily) network drives.

--- Quote ---From the Volume Properties popup I currently have
Drive X:\  Volume type : Network drive
Label  "xavi$"  ; Serial 261a7d3d  ;  File sys type  NTFS ; Max filename 255; 
Network \\BUFFALO\xavi$
Volume alias is blank.
--- End quote ---

Ordinarily, volume labels are shown here as 'Label', but from this, I guess that ThumbsPlus shows the share name there when it's a network drive (I do not use any network drives here, so cannot verify).

--- Quote ---Q1: is 'label' in the volume properties always just the sharename on the NAS drive?
--- End quote ---

It might well be (or, maybe it depends on your 'Volume Matching Strategy' settings in options | Preferences | Thumbnails)

--- Quote ---Q2: is what you refer to as 'drive volume label' the sharename  or is it what Thumbs calls 'Network'?
--- End quote ---

Neither; a volume label is a distinct drive property. However, in the case of network drives, ThumbsPlus can use their share names instead to identify drives.

--- Quote ---Q3 : if I move the complete structure with thumbs folders  from \\BUFFALO\xavi$ to \\OTHERDRIVE\xavi$ 
       are there settings of the Preferences
       'Match network volume using share name' and 'ignore network drive labels'
       that will allow me to simply copy over and match Thumbs database to the moved data?
--- End quote ---

I think that should work, but there's another problem. When you use a network drive, the server name is also used in the drive identification/matching process. So, you'd have to name the new NAS "BUFFALO" too. OR, you could go into your database using an appropriate tool and change the server and share names into whatever they will be in your new network configuration.

But that is assuming that your current NAS would be replaced by a new one from one moment to the next. If you can just add a new NAS instead, so that both old and new are simultaneously connected, you can use ThumbsPlus to do all the copying of images from old to new and it will automatically copy the thumbnails, keywords, annotations, etc, in the database as it copies the files. Afterwards, you could remove the old NAS, delete all its (then orphaned) thumbnails from the database, and use Compact & Repair to recover the used space in the database.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version