Author Topic: Can We Somehow Use a Database of Maximum Size?  (Read 2808 times)

thmbsatha

• View Profile
Can We Somehow Use a Database of Maximum Size?
« on: 2022-05-24 07:23:57 »
If a ThumbsPlus 10 database has reached its maximum size, we cannot use it again. We cannot search for new words again. Can we reduce the size of it so that we can use it again? It does not search for new word again, because it cannot construct new thumbnails due to the maximum size.
Thank you.
thumbsatha

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can We Somehow Use a Database of Maximum Size?
« Reply #1 on: 2022-05-24 14:09:30 »
When you delete information from a database, the database file itself does not shrink because the information is not physically removed from the database. It is only flagged internally as deleted. This is because database files can get very large, and re-writing them everytime that a record is deleted would make them too slow.

So, to physically cleanse the database file of deleted records, you use a special function that you find in the menu as Database | Compact & Repair.

Before you use this function, you may want to do two other things first:

1) Remove thumbnails that you no longer need. You can do so by in several ways. For instance, you can select them and press Shift-Del. Or you can right-click on a folder name (in the tree) and use Remove from Tree, to remove all thumbnails pertaining to that folder and its subfolders (be very careful that you do not accidentily use just Del or Delete Folder because that would delete the actual image files from your harddrive!)

2) Remove 'orphaned' thumbnails. A thumbnail record is orphaned when the file that it describes no longer exists. To remove orphans, use Thumbnail | Remove | Orphans from the menu.

When you have done these things, you can use the Compact & Repair function that I mentioned earlier to re-gain a lot of space.

I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

thmbsatha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2022-05-27 18:57:06 »
Daan,
I did exactly what you said, but the resulting database was somehow corrupted.
Thank you very much.
thmbsatha

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2022-05-28 00:14:14 »
I did exactly what you said, but the resulting database was somehow corrupted.

I'm very sorry to hear that - and surprised! Did you see any error messages? The Compact & Repair function that ThumbsPlus uses is actually part of the Windows operating system, and one of its main purposes is to prevent corruption, not cause it. I hope you've been able to restore a backup.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.