Author Topic: How to 'freeze' screen layout  (Read 3530 times)

Allan

• View Profile
How to 'freeze' screen layout
« on: 2015-04-01 09:14:20 »
I have the windows laid out just the way I want them. Is there a way to freeze them in place so I can't accidentally mess them up, or to remember the layout so I can get it back if I do mess them up?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2015-04-01 14:25:20 »
> I have the windows laid out just the way I want them. Is there a way to freeze them in place so I can't accidentally mess them up, or to remember the layout so I can get it back if I do mess them up?

I'd just keep backups of the relevant settings files. The layout for the main program is stored in thumbs9.config, that of the viewer in thumbs9.vconfig. Some elements like a skin or theme that you may be using are kept in thumbs9.ini. You'll find these files in the 'preferences path' specified under Help | System Info.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Allan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-04-02 11:23:24 »
Thanks for your suggestion. Restoring from backups buried in my operating system looks like more trouble than just restoring the screen.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-04-02 21:12:08 »
Yes, well, that depends on how you've organized your backups. At any rate, there's no built-in function to freeze the layout. Theoratically, you could write-protect the settings files but I wouldn't recommend that. In practice, if you ever find yourself mistakenly dragging a border or a panel, just hit ESC on the keyboard before you let go of the mouse button.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.