Author Topic: Databases are GONE!!!  (Read 3729 times)

DancerX

• View Profile
Databases are GONE!!!
« on: 2015-02-10 15:29:12 »
Windows 7 Pro SP1
TP9 3943

I have two databases in TP9. From within TP9, I moved the corresponding folders/files to a new external drive. Both databases seemed to be OK after that.

Later, from Windows, I changed the drive letter of the new drive. Now, when I try to open either database from TP9, it doesn't appear.

When I go to the folders, new thumbnails are created, but all of the keywords, annotations,etc. are gone. I can get to the database in MS Access and I suspect the problem has to do with the volume name/serial number or whatever.

I have backups for both databases, but when I click "Restore" from the menu, nothing happens.

What should I do or look for to fix this?

Gary

• View Profile
Databases are GONE!!!
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-10 17:04:50 »
> Windows 7 Pro SP1
> TP9 3943
>
> I have two databases in TP9. From within TP9, I moved the corresponding folders/files to a new external drive. Both databases seemed to be OK after that.
>
> Later, from Windows, I changed the drive letter of the new drive. Now, when I try to open either database from TP9, it doesn't appear.
>
> When I go to the folders, new thumbnails are created, but all of the keywords, annotations,etc. are gone. I can get to the database in MS Access and I suspect the problem has to do with the volume name/serial number or whatever.
>
> I have backups for both databases, but when I click "Restore" from the menu, nothing happens.
>
> What should I do or look for to fix this?

In the TP9 tree, do you by chance see "orphaned" thumbnails that reference the drive names before you changed them in Windows?  If so, you can drag that to the new actual folder name and the database should be now synched with the new names.

If that does not work, are you by chance using Firefox web browser?  If so, there is a SQLite plugin that will allow you to change database entries.  Let me know.

Cheers,
Gary

DancerX

• View Profile
Databases are GONE!!!
« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-10 17:32:02 »
> > Windows 7 Pro SP1
> > TP9 3943
> >
> > I have two databases in TP9. From within TP9, I moved the corresponding folders/files to a new external drive. Both databases seemed to be OK after that.
> >
> > Later, from Windows, I changed the drive letter of the new drive. Now, when I try to open either database from TP9, it doesn't appear.
> >
> > When I go to the folders, new thumbnails are created, but all of the keywords, annotations,etc. are gone. I can get to the database in MS Access and I suspect the problem has to do with the volume name/serial number or whatever.
> >
> > I have backups for both databases, but when I click "Restore" from the menu, nothing happens.
> >
> > What should I do or look for to fix this?
>
> In the TP9 tree, do you by chance see "orphaned" thumbnails that reference the drive names before you changed them in Windows?  If so, you can drag that to the new actual folder name and the database should be now synched with the new names.
>
> If that does not work, are you by chance using Firefox web browser?  If so, there is a SQLite plugin that will allow you to change database entries.  Let me know.
>
> Cheers,
> Gary

No, I don't see anything about orphaned thumbnails. Also, except in MS Access - from within TP9, I no longer have my databases, so there are no entries to change.

Regardless, thanks so much for your quick reply to try to help.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Databases are GONE!!!
« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-10 19:56:11 »
If you change the drive where the databases are stored, it shouldn't come as a suprise that ThumbsPlus can no longer find them (and makes a new one at the default location).

Use Database | Open to open the correct database. And, if you wish, go to Options | Preferences | Startup and set 'Initial Database' to the database that you want TP to use when it launches.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

DancerX

• View Profile
Databases are GONE!!!
« Reply #4 on: 2015-02-11 09:16:19 »
> > Windows 7 Pro SP1
> > TP9 3943
> >
> > I have two databases in TP9. From within TP9, I moved the corresponding folders/files to a new external drive. Both databases seemed to be OK after that.
> >
> > Later, from Windows, I changed the drive letter of the new drive. Now, when I try to open either database from TP9, it doesn't appear.
> >
> > When I go to the folders, new thumbnails are created, but all of the keywords, annotations,etc. are gone. I can get to the database in MS Access and I suspect the problem has to do with the volume name/serial number or whatever.
> >
> > I have backups for both databases, but when I click "Restore" from the menu, nothing happens.
> >
> > What should I do or look for to fix this?
>
> In the TP9 tree, do you by chance see "orphaned" thumbnails that reference the drive names before you changed them in Windows?  If so, you can drag that to the new actual folder name and the database should be now synched with the new names.
>
> If that does not work, are you by chance using Firefox web browser?  If so, there is a SQLite plugin that will allow you to change database entries.  Let me know.
>
> Cheers,
> Gary

Gary -

Your most recent post doesn't appear in the forum, but you sent me in the right direction and both databases are now fixed! :-D

You were right that I needed to open the database in TP9, then from the menu click on Database\Advanced\Open in MS Access, then go to the Volume table.

After I'd moved the folders for both databases from within TP9 and tested, I made two changes in Windows: I changed the volume name and the drive letter from "N" to "J".

I corrected the volume name in the "label" field as you suggested, but there was one more thing to fix. In the field "netname" it showed "\\\n$". I changed the "n" to "j". I saved and closed Access, then closed TP9.

When I reopened TP9 and opened my database, it came up exactly as it should - all fixed!

I did the same thing for my other database and it's working fine now, too.

Thank you VERY much for your help in fixing my own mess! Very much appreciated as it took hundreds of hours to make those databases and I didn't want to have to do it again.

Be Well,
D

DancerX

• View Profile
Databases are GONE!!!
« Reply #5 on: 2015-02-11 09:33:19 »
> If you change the drive where the databases are stored, it shouldn't come as a surprise that ThumbsPlus can no longer find them (and makes a new one at the default location).
>
> Use Database | Open to open the correct database. And, if you wish, go to Options | Preferences | Startup and set 'Initial Database' to the database that you want TP to use when it launches.

Daan -

All is well now. It's fixed. :-)

You're right that it was no surprise. I was just angry and frustrated that I wasn't sure how to fix it. It took many, MANY hours to create those databases. I let my anger and frustration cloud my thinking.

Another forum member, Gary, pointed out that the fix should be made in MS Access. I suspected as much and he was right! I described the entire process in a reply to him elsewhere in this forum.

Regardless, thanks for your response to my cry for help. Always appreciated.

Be Well,
D

Gary

• View Profile
Databases are GONE!!!
« Reply #6 on: 2015-02-11 10:19:00 »
D ...

So glad you caught my post and it actually worked for you.  After posting it, then reading Daan's reply, I wasn't sure if I was leading you down the wrong path, so I deleted my post.

So happy you were able to get your situation squared.

Cheers,
Gary

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Databases are GONE!!!
« Reply #7 on: 2015-02-11 11:48:49 »
I would have sworn that I'd seen a very thorough reply from you last night.. so that explains it!

I guess we'd both read the opening post differently - I thought that his databases had disappeared, and you that their contents had disappeared. Either way, it seems to have been solved.. :-)
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.