Author Topic: Resize to very small get real fuzzy  (Read 3421 times)

Frolin Marek

• View Profile
Resize to very small get real fuzzy
« on: 2015-05-25 15:29:37 »
Lately noticing even more fuzzy results with resizing images in Thumbsplus.  I normally try to start with medium to higher resolution pictures, say 4000x3000 or at least 2000x1500, and drop to 1024x768.  Have noticed slight quality lost and fuzzy.

But when I take a larger photo and try to make a business card size picture, like 235x176, the content becomes unusable, terrible distortion.

Funny thing is, just using MS-Paint to do this works fine, no issues.

So what gives in TP v9 now, as do not recall this being an issue in v7?

So mention of setting the 'Interpolation' during Resize, to 'Resample' or 'Bi-Cubic' but nether really helped.  Nor did using a Filter to Sharpen and 'unmask'.

Seems the programmers screwed up another basic feature of a photo editor, in v9 where it is distorting terrible on a resize to very small.

Am I missing a simple setting that id defaulting wrong in v9 to fix this?

Frolin

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2015-05-25 16:00:48 »
I've never noticed this problem here.

Are you viewing the result at 100% (i.e. no magnification)? Note that the editor/viewer now has a minimum window size, and that your downsized image may be shown magnified. If so, press F6 to see it at its true size.

Are you downsizing regular bitmap images (e.g. JPG)?

It's generally a good idea to apply a bit of unsharp mask after downsizing an image, but when you resize using the downsample or bi-cubic algorithms the result shouldn't look fuzzy to begin with.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Frolin Marek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-05-25 16:24:52 »
Daan,

I am viewing in full size.

What I have found in some testing this afternoon is, the terrible fuzzy results tend to come when using 'custom' pixel settings.   As example, if I take a 2000x1500 picture and resize to 235x176,  a size I need for a web slide show image.  The image becomes very fuzzy.  But if I go to a default size of 320x240 the image retains most of it's quality.

What I also noticed is, the 'resolution' boxes were empty when doing Custom.  But after using a default size, they now have 72x72.  If I do Custom after that, they still have 72x72 and my 235x176 is much nicer.

So I tried Custom size of 235x176, I set Resolution at 100x100, and Interpolation set to 'Bi-Cubic' the results were tad fuzzy.

I then tried same Custom and Resolution with Interpolation to 'downsample', the image was much nicer.  Did a Filter, Sharpen, Unmask and tad better.

All these custom settings and extra filter steps, and I can get the same resized quality and results, that I am getting with MS-Paint and it's resize feature.  This is not a fix, but another issue in TP.

Frolin

mschnell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-05-30 07:45:06 »
The resizing algorithms provided by reaper are not really appropriate for this task.

the free Irfanview program provides the Lanczos Algorithm, that in many cases provides a lot smoother result.

-Michael