Author Topic: TP10 Build 4001. Disappointment?  (Read 5827 times)

Gary

• View Profile
TP10 Build 4001. Disappointment?
« on: 2015-07-17 10:04:15 »
Well, been using TP10 heavily and it seems issues I thought were fixed are not fixed.  Can anyone else confirm the following?

- the rename/disappearing file is not fixed

- the SQLite database performance is back to being slow again

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2015-07-17 11:27:03 »
Using the Jet database I found (with TP9 at least) that when things slowed up, deleting Thumbs9.ini and letting TP re-create it fixed the problem. Of course you will lose all your settings, but as a diagnostic it may be worth trying (with Thumbs10.ini obviously).

I had started saving the ini file before starting TP each time to try and identify which entry was changing, but so far I haven't identified any single entry that is at fault. So far TP10 is behaving itself, but time will tell.

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-17 11:34:31 »
Thanks Pete.

Are you using SQLite with TP10?

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-17 11:42:20 »
No, I am still using Jet. I had such poor performance from SQLite in the early days I gave up on it. I may have another go once I am sure that TP10 is stable.

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-17 11:51:22 »
Thanks.  SQLite is very frustrating.  Sometimes performance is reasonable but most of the time painfully slow.  I though the journal off option would help, but it appears not.

IlseKasten

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-07-19 04:29:00 »
Do you have programming skills? Then the problem would be easily solved with a launcher for TP. It always writes the correct line to the INI before TP starts.
I have written me such a program and I am very happy with SQLite.
Maybe Cerious has a better solution soon.

Regards Ilse

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-07-19 08:02:10 »
> Do you have programming skills? Then the problem would be easily solved with a launcher for TP. It always writes the correct line to the INI before TP starts.
> I have written me such a program and I am very happy with SQLite.
> Maybe Cerious has a better solution soon.
>
> Regards Ilse

Ilse,

Thanks for your response.  This is the database line:

InitialDatabase=Database=D:\IMDBTPA\Thumbs10.tpdb8s;Driver={ThumbsPlus SQLite3 ODBC Driver};Timeout=5000;NoCreat=Yes;JournalMode=Off;SyncPragma=NORMAL

Should I make changes to it?  I may be wrong but the line does not appear to change from one run of TP to the next.  Maybe my expectations are too high?  A few times the performance has approached the .td4 performance, but most of the time considerably slower.

Your suggestions are most appreciated.

Regards,
Gary

IlseKasten

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-07-19 11:38:20 »
The execution is much faster than .td4 for me me. TP10 seems to have become even faster when searching. I have no Measurement it's just a feeling.

I prefer the following line:
Timeout=5000;NoCreat=Yes;SyncPragma=OFF;PRAGMA synchronous = OFF;PRAGMA journal_mode = OFF

Yes you are right this line seems to be stable in the INI, but if you use different DB's on different base this entry will change each time, you use another DB. So I prefer to programatically control this entry.

Just remember, the standard SQLite pragmas are for safe use, speed up will cost safety. But I never had problems.

Regards Ilse

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-07-19 13:08:31 »
> The execution is much faster than .td4 for me me. TP10 seems to have become even faster when searching. I have no Measurement it's just a feeling.
>
> I prefer the following line:
> Timeout=5000;NoCreat=Yes;SyncPragma=OFF;PRAGMA synchronous = OFF;PRAGMA journal_mode = OFF
>
> Yes you are right this line seems to be stable in the INI, but if you use different DB's on different base this entry will change each time, you use another DB. So I prefer to programatically control this entry.
>
> Just remember, the standard SQLite pragmas are for safe use, speed up will cost safety. But I never had problems.
>
> Regards Ilse

Ilse,

Thanks again for your help.  I am using one SQLite database, so the entry does remain stable.  Safety is not an issue.  My system is on battery backup and I backup the database each time it is modified.

I tried your line and it makes no difference on thumbnail creation.  On my system TP7/.td4 is blinding fast creating thumbnails and search performance is the same if not better with TP7.

The image files and database files are on separate SATA III SSDs.  Not sure what else to do.

Thanks again,
Gary

IlseKasten

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-07-19 17:04:19 »
You are pointing on thumbnail creation.

This ist mostly not part of a database operation. The program has to resize the image to thumbnail size, then create the thumbnail. The amount of data depends on the selected thumbnail size. This requires time for the program, the database is still not at all involved.
In a database application, by the way fast storage medias are hardly advantageous because the specific data access is always very short.

I think you should accept this and simply wait. Only when the thumbnails are created  the benefits of knowledge-based photo management will take effect.

Best regards
Ilse

IlseKasten

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2015-07-19 17:23:35 »
I meant database-based not knowledge-based.
Ilse

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2015-07-21 16:35:51 »
Ilse,

Thanks again for your input.  My question is why is SQLite so much slower creating thumbnails vs TP7/TD4 when using the exact same thumbnail settings in both?

I modified the database entry per your recommendation and noted the performance:

InitialDatabase=Database=D:\IMDBTPD\Thumbs8.tpdb8s;Driver={ThumbsPlus SQLite3 ODBC Driver};Timeout=5000;NoCreat=Yes;JournalMode=Off;PRAGMA synchronous = OFF;PRAGMA journal_mode = OFF

I modified the database entry to:

InitialDatabase=Database=D:\IMDBTPD\Thumbs8.tpdb8s;Driver={ThumbsPlus SQLite3 ODBC Driver};Timeout=5000;NoCreat=Yes

There is absolutely no difference in performance between the two.

I installed the SQLIte Manager plugin for Firefox and it appears TP forces options on/off regardless of what the database line specifies.

These are the DB settings for the the first database line:

These are the DB settings for the second database line:

I'm confused about what purpose the InitialDatabase entry serves other than to define the database name and ODBC Driver.

Laura, could you provide further help?

Kindest regards,
Gary