Author Topic: Can I remove a program to 'open with' from a database?  (Read 3576 times)

Lengo

• View Profile
Can I remove a bogus entry for opening files in the 'open with' drop down? How do I do this? I see the ability to add a program. Where is the ability to delete one?

ERinSTL

• View Profile
Can I remove a program to 'open with' from a database?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-20 22:16:21 »
Sorry I don't have a solution to this problem. I was about to post the same problem hoping for someone to help me. So Cerious, please consider this another vote to have this implemented if it isn't already doable.

ERinSTL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-20 22:42:50 »
This is a duplicate of a thread started as
[Fixed 9sp1b2] SP1 - Still can't clean up Open With menus on 30 Oct 2013. There are fixes described in that thread. One worked for me: I had to open the tpdb8 (MS Access) and find the records in the UserSettings file that dealt with external programs. When I deleted the 11 records and reopened TP, the spurious external program entry was gone. If you have more than one external program set up, be careful: the external program records in the db table are keyed to *numbered* external programs, and I don't know what might happen if there is an external program 1 without an external program 0.

If you don't have MS Access, there may be some free viewers available online. Not sure if they will also allow record deletes.

TP developer Phillip posted that the bug had been fixed in TP9SP1beta1, but I have the current release installed, and his description doesn't match my experience.

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-21 07:21:18 »
If I understand your issue correctly:

1.  install SP1 Beta 3 (Build 3933)
2.  click menu "File"
3.  mouse over "Open with", click "Manage Programs..." (this will open "Customize" window)
4.  in "Customize" window, click "Programs" tab
5.  click to select the appropriate entry from the "External Programs (Open With):" list then click "Delete" button (or click "Remove all" button)
6.  click "Close" button to finish

Lengo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-21 19:23:12 »
Thank you, Gary! Mission accomplished and all is well and good. Though having a bogus entry wasn't a big problem, it was very annoying. You have made my experience with TP much better! I owe ya one (one of what, I dunno) :)

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-21 21:36:27 »
HA HA on the IOU.  Glad to be of some help.  Upon further thought, it would be easier to type Ctrl+Q to open the Customize window, click on the Programs tab then go from there.  Cheers!