Author Topic: Quick Save option  (Read 7592 times)

bradslk

• View Profile
Quick Save option
« on: 2011-11-29 15:07:37 »
I use ThumbsPlus mostly for managing photographs of stock - I'm an antique dealer.

I typically take 100 or more pictures of items, then use thumbs plus to straighten and crop each one.

The save part is cumbersome because I get so many confirmation displays. In previous versions I just pressed Enter to all of them but Windows 7 seems to default to cancel so this is no good.

I would like to have a mode to switch them all off so I can just press escape to close the file and have it saved. No are you sure, no JPEG options, just save it and get on with my normal work flow.

And if the same mode could then open the next picture that would also be great.

Perhaps a control key combination to save, close, open the next?

Thanks,
Lee.

j

• View Profile
Quick Save option
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-20 08:11:33 »
When I edit a JPG I save and exit with Ctrl-S which pops up a dialog to which I always press Enter.  So it takes two keys to save and exit the image.

I would not want Escape to save the image because I use escape to explicitly abandon changes.  Personally I'd rather the default on Escape to be "lose changes" rather than "save changes".

You have a very good point.  I have probably changed the JPG defaults once in 5000 times, if that.  It would be awesome to be able to tell TP to remember the JPG defaults, or alternatively, to have a shortcut for "exit and save the same way I did last time".  I nominate Ctrl-X.

In the meantime, you might try "Ctrl-S, Enter".  It's pretty quick.

bradslk

• View Profile
Quick Save option
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-20 14:28:12 »
Ctrl-X would be good.

My ideal action would be save using current JPEG defaults, close, open next file. This is my work flow & I suspect it would useful to others as well.

I use Ctrl-S Enter at the moment, then Escape, right arrow, enter. But it's just comlex and different enough to a number of other sequences I use that it's difficult to get in the right order all the time.

j

• View Profile
Quick Save option
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-20 17:17:49 »
> Ctrl-X would be good.
>
> My ideal action would be save using current JPEG defaults, close, open next file. This is my work flow & I suspect it would useful to others as well.
>
> I use Ctrl-S Enter at the moment, then Escape, right arrow, enter. But it's just comlex and different enough to a number of other sequences I use that it's difficult to get in the right order all the time.

Ah, I get it.

That would be awesome if Ctrl-S (or per the discussion, Ctrl-X) just saved the file without popping up the save dialog, then moved to the next image.  Sort of like a batch process, but for interactive editing.  That would be very cool.

I think I can save you a couple of keystrokes, though.  Instead of:

Ctrl-S, Enter, Escape, Right, Enter

try:

Ctrl-S, Enter, Space

I believe that will take you to the next image.  Also, Num 6 should work, but I don't have one of those.  Or, from the Image Viewer, File / Load / Next File, but that's less efficient.

Also, there is a program out there called AutoIt which might allow you to specify a series of keystrokes when you press a special key.  See autoitscript.com.  Unfortunately, TP doesn't have any sort of scripting capability, at least that I am aware of.

Regards,
J

j

• View Profile
Quick Save option
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-20 17:44:18 »
Oh, oh!

And if you go to Options / Viewing / Editing

and uncheck "Show file format options when overwriting (File | Save)"

then it will not pop up the Save JPEG Options dialog.

That reduces your keystrokes to:

Ctrl-S, Space

Good luck!
J

bradslk

• View Profile
Quick Save option
« Reply #5 on: 2011-12-20 18:06:27 »
Ooh. Very nice; very nearly perfect.

Ctrl-X would still be nice, but this has improved my workflow enormously.

Many thanks.

LEe.

jooolster

• View Profile
Quick Save option
« Reply #6 on: 2015-12-29 09:50:50 »
I am late to this party but I too want to bypass the jpeg options screen. I have the appropriate box unchecked in Options/Viewing/Editing but the screen still pops up. What am I missing?