Author Topic: v9 3955 will not play MOV videos  (Read 3787 times)

Frolin Marek

• View Profile
v9 3955 will not play MOV videos
« on: 2014-04-06 17:23:58 »
When I go view a folder with pictures and video files, and if the video is a .MOV file directly from my Canon point-and-shot camera, Thumbsplus will not play it.

When I go to the folder, I see a thumbnail picture for all picture files.
But for the MOV files, I get a tiny windows type icon.
When I double click it opens the 'video player' and gives a blank, black screen.  When I click the play [>] icon, nothing happens.

So what's wrong this time with Thumbsplus v9 ?

Sure miss v7 when things...  normally just worked.

But unable to get v7 to show the thumbnail icons in a folder for pictures, just get a similar windows type icon, but it will open the photos at least.

Frolin

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-06 20:21:22 »
did you check to make sure that MOV is a recognized file type?  You may need to add it.  Also, do you have proper codec files to play MOV files?  You may need to install a codec pack - I recommend K-Lite Codec Standard.

Frolin Marek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-06 22:18:48 »
Gary,

Thanks for the reply about the issues in v9 and playing  .MOV  video files.

I checked the File Types in TP+ and it does have  MOV  checked enabled.

Not sure about the Codec part, but this is on a Windows 8.1 system.  And using 'File Explorer' I have no issues opening and having the video play, in the default of Media Player.  And also can play in 'Real Player', no issues there.

So is the Codec driver something extra needed by Thumbsplus to make it work, where other apps on the same PC have no issue?

Frolin

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-04-06 23:16:56 »
Ah.  I refuse to go anywhere near W8 so I am not sure about codec behavior in W8.  I think some video players have codec logic built in and some do not.  Possibly you could install K-Lite Codec Standard and see if it makes a difference?  It is easily uninstalled if you get no good result.  Using W7 and K-Lite, TP9 plays MOV files.  Sorry I cannot be more help.

Frolin Marek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-04-06 23:39:29 »
Gary,

Just downloaded K-Lite and that resolved the issue.  The  .MOV  video opens and plays in TP+ v9 now ok.  Odd that Cerious continues to have to be rigged and such to make it work out of the box...

As to Windows 8, I don't like it either much. But discs replaces VHS, and took a couple years for HiDef Dvds to stablize, and I think W8.x is not stabilized yet.  This tablet touch the screen and use your finger concept is simple dumb.  It's not a 8in screen pocket screen - so it's a pain.

BTW - warning about searching for K-Lite and other apps, I found a rogue site and my AVG flared off a possible threat.  So I went to the trusty  CNET  site and got it without issue...
http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Codec-Pack-Full/3000-13632_4-64246.html

Also watch out, it has 7 steps of "do you want to install extra junk" options.  Took a minute to re-read the wording to realize, you want to 'decline' and 'decline' and 'decline' adding browser add-ons, just to get to step 7 and d/l and install the K-lite itself.

thanks again!
Frolin

Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-04-07 09:04:14 »
Frolin,

Glad that solved the problem!  I apologize, I should have warned you about the possible junk install options.  I always choose the most advanced install option and carefully opt out of any junk (subsequent update packs do not have any junk).  Here's the official web site addr:  http://www.codecguide.com/

When you click on a download link you'll get a few mirror sites.  I always choose the mirror hosted by Betanews.  Also note the install program hash values are provided for verification.

Again, my apology for not giving you the detailed download/install information.

Cheers,
Gary