Author Topic: Error in thumbs10.ini  (Read 3868 times)

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
Error in thumbs10.ini
« on: 2016-01-15 20:11:43 »
Ever since the release of TP9 I have had a problem with an extreme slowdown of building a thumbnail list of an already thumbnailed folder. It can take several minutes to display a folder of 2000 images, and scrolling through is painfully slow.

Ages ago I found out that when this happens deleting thumbs10.ini (or thumbs9.ini for TP9)and let it get recreated cured the problem. This has been a pain as I had to redo all my preferences every time.

After much experimentation, I have finally found the line in the file that is causing the problem, and exactly when the issue occurs.

In the [FileList] section there is a line LargeModeFlags=

In a newly created ini file this is set to 9, but when things slow down it gets set to 126985. I have also found out that this is getting set after opening a particular database (I regularly use 4 different databases).

Does anyone know what LargeModeFlags refers to, and how to stop it changing?

I will pass this on to Laura, but I want to try and find the cause first and if there is something wrong with the database that is causing this to be set so high.

Gary

• View Profile
Error in thumbs10.ini
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-15 21:05:15 »
I have no idea what they mean, but here are the settings from my Thumbs10.ini file:

Flags=201326600
SmallModeFlags=201326600
LargeModeFlags=201326601
CustomModeFlags=629146143
ListModeFlags=92275209
ReportModeFlags=226495039

I am using one tpdb8s database.

Have you tried to repair the database?  Recreate it?

Cheers.
Gary

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Error in thumbs10.ini
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-15 22:12:24 »
It seems to store the list of items that get displayed with thumbnails, i.e. filename, filesize, keywords, user fields, etc. Click on the lightbulb icon above the thumbnail listing to see which items are on and off for you. In your case, it was probably user fields that slowed things down.

(sidenote: another cause of slowdowns is having color management enabled in thumbnail listings)
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
Error in thumbs10.ini
« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-16 04:09:37 »
Thanks guys, with that information I now know the cause of the problem, and can confirm this is indeed a bug!

One database has 6 user fields that I always have displayed; I have never noticed the slow down with it.

The second database, the one that slows down, doesn't have any user fields.

With a fresh .ini, open the database without user fields - all OK. Quit TP.

Open the database with user fields, and display them - all OK. Quit TP.

Again open the database without user fields - display of thumbnails is slow. Quit TP.

Open database with user fields - all OK, so turn off display of user fields. Quit TP.

Finally open database without user fields - all OK again.

Solution? Store the display of user fields in the database, not the .ini, as user fields are database dependent.

I will submit this as a fault to Laura, and hopefully it can get fixed before SP1 production release.