Author Topic: Extracting MS PhotoGallery tags into keywords - how?  (Read 4023 times)

NameOfTheDragon

Some of my photos have been through PhotoGallery's 'face recognition' feature, and have add the person's name and other details added in the image metadata. It produces tags like these (this is fake data but the format is correct):

MP:RegionInfo:
MP:RegionInfo/MPRI:Regions[1]:
MP:RegionInfo/MPRI:Regions[1]/MPReg:Rectangle: 0.161808, 0.309570, 0.551020, 0.369141
MP:RegionInfo/MPRI:Regions[1]/MPReg:PersonDisplayName: Tim Long
MP:RegionInfo/MPRI:Regions[1]/MPReg:PersonEmailDigest: 52063E054543213F562B9238374297D7A91A6D7F
MP:RegionInfo/MPRI:Regions[1]/MPReg:PersonLiveIdCID: 639161510000033180
MP:RegionInfo/MPRI:Regions[1]/MPReg:PersonSourceID: WL:639161510000033180

Is there a way to get T+ to extract this metadata, particularly the PersonName ("Tim Long") and create it as a keyword and/or user field?

Regards,
Tim Long

jaybird23238

• View Profile
Extracting MS PhotoGallery tags into keywords - how?
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-31 17:32:32 »
So the original message is somewhat old, but I have almost the same issue.  Hopefully someone new will see this post and have an answer.

I have almost 100,000 photos in live photo gallery.  A major number of these have been tagged with the face recognition feature.

I need to migrate this data from the gallery to Thumbs plus v10.  Can it be done, and if so, how.

Are there any plans to incorporate face recognition into the next version of TPlus?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Extracting MS PhotoGallery tags into keywords - how?
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-01 01:22:31 »
> I have almost 100,000 photos in live photo gallery.  A major number of these have been tagged with the face recognition feature.
>
> I need to migrate this data from the gallery to Thumbs plus v10.  Can it be done, and if so, how.

I downloaded a JPG that contains such MS Photogallery tags and they don't show in the TP10 metadata panel. I guess they're proprietary.

However, this discussion (I didn't read the whole thread) suggests that Exiftool can read them and convert them to different tags:

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/topic,4361.0.html

If you can find a way to copy the information into tags that ThumbsPlus can read, ThumbsPlus can automatically copy the information into user fields in the database when it makes thumbnails. This requires that a) "Automatically populate user fields.." in Options | Preferences | Metadata is on, and b) that you have made user fields that have exactly the same name as the XMP fields that hold the data.

Edited to add:

I doubt if it would help here and it's not a recommendation, but some people have successfully made TP10 display more XMP (EXIF) fields (than it does by default) by editing the XMPNAMES.DAT file in the DATA subfolder. Might be worth some experimentation. Keep in mind that program updates will likely overwrite an edited file.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.